main fuse blows on Central Heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, The main fuse (trip switch) in my house blows when the cenral heating comes on. I'm thinking it might be the CH pump at fault. I noticed the pump is wet too. Looks like a small leak somewhere.

Do I need a new pump or somehow fix the leak ? What pump is recommended for a typical 2 story house ?

thanks.

Sponsored Links
the wet pumps is causing it

change it a 15-50 will do, also you may need to change the pump valves if the leaks is coming from there

If the water is reasonable clean any make of pump will do. Grunfoss, Wilo, Circulating Pumps or DAB are common names.

The standard pump is adequate and should be run on the middle setting.

When first installed it should be bled of air according tot he instructions and the shaft should be horizontal.

For some odd reason the circulating Pumps never seem to have any air to bleed out! They seem to self vent somehow.

Tony

The other favourite for earth faults when wet is a motorised valve. If your 'wet' pump is mounted above such a valve, the fuse-blowing fault is more likely due to the valve (which by now will be completely Mullered internally). If a pump is correctly mounted, a leak on the connections will be quite unlikely to reach the pump electrics. An internal leak on a circulating pump is extremely uncommon.

Sponsored Links
[Q] “Please can you tell me what mullered means and how old it is. I have only heard it in the last few months. Some people use it in engineering to mean damaged, but it seems to mean drunk too.”

[A] It’s a relatively recent British slang term, so far as I know, certainly only dating from the nineties. I’ve not come across it in the sense of “damaged”, but only that of “intoxicated”, either by drink or drugs. It has been said to be a variant form of the older word mulled, with the same meaning, which presumably derives from the sense of a drink that’s has been made into a hot spicy concoction.

OK - 'fubar'ed' if you prefer.
I always believed that Mr Muller was a possibly German, but probably American, engineer of legendary incompetence.

Hi, I installed a new Grunfoss 15-50 today and it is working like a charm. And a massive reduction in noise too. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

croydoncorgi said:
OK - 'fubar'ed' if you prefer.
I always believed that Mr Muller was a possibly German, but probably American, engineer of legendary incompetence.

One of the definitions of 'mull' is to crush or grind eg in a mill, and a muller is a form of millstone for grinding corn etc, or German for 'miller'.

So to be mullered something must have 'gone through the mill'

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back