Main Voltage Halogen Lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to wire 6 50w lights to a single 400w dimmer switch. Ive done this before but I used a double dimmer and had the lights in 2 banks of 3. This time I only have 1 switch cable and rather than channelling a second in I was wondering what the implications of wiring all 6 in a row off the same switch ( just looping from one to the next ).

Will the last be as bright as the first?

Is it safe?

Is there a better way?

Cheers for your time.

Chris Oakley.

Sponsored Links
Assuming that you mean that all the bulbs are 240volt 50watt bulbs, then the total load on the dimmer switch will be 6 x 50 watts = 300watts. If the dimmer switch is rated at 400 watts, then there is a 25% safety margin on the loading, which is fine. Simply connect up all the lamps in parallel with each other and the dimmer in series with the live feed to the lamps. All lamps will be of equal brightness. As to safety, how good a job can you make of it? If you don't think you can make a safe job of it, call in an expert.

I think that you are describing serial wiring between all the lamps, if so, and they are all mains bulbs, it won't work!

Assuming you are talking 240 volt mains then each lamp will have 40 volts max across it. This will probably be insufficient to light the bulbs. ( 6 x 40 = 240volts )

If you mean to use low voltage halogen bulbs (12volt) in series, then you need 20 of them.
( 20 x 12 = 240 volts ). This would also be dangerous, because if a bulb failed, which is labelled as 12volt, you would actually have 240volt mains across the lamp terminals, which only you may know about!

Cheers for your replies guys. I need a bit of clarification tho coz while Ive done a fair amount of successful DIY wiring by following step-by-step guides in DIY books, I dont fully understand the electrical principals behind it.

When I say "all 6 in a row", I mean physically rather than electrically. If each light is connected to the next by both live *and* neutral wires ( 1.5mm twin and earth ) then is this the equivalent of wiring them in parallel? Will I then get the full 240 volts across each light?

Sponsored Links
Yes you will. The previous reply referred to series connect lights, (as in Christmas tree lights) which does not apply here.

Is it always safe to fit an equivalent mains voltage halogen bulb (of the same wattage) instad of the standard bulb?

so long as it is mains voltage and the same wattage (or lower wattage)There is only one "problem" halogen lights do get very hot during normal operation, so as long as the new lamp does not touch the existing fitting then yes all should be fine.

Hi, im new to this but does anyone know if i can have dimmer switch with 5 50w halogen bulbs. Thanks

depends if they are mains or not, for low voltage lights to be able to be dimmed you do need a specail dimable transformer.

if they are mains voltage lamps then yes adimmer will dim them (so long as it is rated for 250 watts or above)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back