Mains sockets below kitchen worktops

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I was just wondering whether it is permissible to install new mains sockets below a kitchen worktop to supply a dishwasher and washing machine.

Elsewhere on diynot there is mention of providing these supplies by means of a separate fused switch above the worktop and a socket below, but I would rather just fit a standard 13A switched socket below the worktop, so as not to have to disturb existing tiling.

Clearly these new sockets will be fairly close to water waste outlets so I'm not sure if there are special regulations to be considered?

Thanks for any advice you can offer,
Ted.

Sponsored Links
The advice is to have a switch that can be got to quickly should something go wrong with the appliance.

This afternoon I had to look at a neighbour's tumble drier that would turn off. The switch on the front had failed in the ON position. Had there not been a switch above the work surface the entire kitchen power would have had to have been turned off at the consumer unit.

There is nothing wrong with sockets below the worktop as long as they are accessible to enable unplugging of the appliance.
When fitting in a tight space be careful to ensure that wiring is correct as the awkwardness of it can make wrong polarity or screwed insulation etc a possibility.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back