mains supply or generator?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Does anyone have a rough idea what it costs to install a mains supply to a rural property?
Are we talking several thousand or is more like tens of thousands?
If hugely expensive has anyone experience of using generators to supply the home?
Looking to purchase a new 'project' (no mains or sewerage).

As always, all help greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I think its a few thousand for a mains supply......just got a price of a 30kVA generator for a job I'm doing........£10000 with a run time of 40hrs...But go for the mains supply anyways...you got diesel prices to think of aswell.

Regards,

I would go for a combination of the two; mains supplies can be unreliable in very rural areas at times.

I have done a job like this before and I installed a generator through a changover panel. The generator only needs to be small 5kVA and needn't cost a fortune. What you need to do then is to install a fuseboard (I used Merlin Gerin) on a contactor arrangement so that when mains supply is lost, all 'non-essential' circuits drop out on the contactor leaving basicly lighting and some small power. You size the generator according to how much stuff you want to run in the event of a loss of mains power. In my case all they wanted was lighting and some small power. When mains supply is returned, the changover panel kicks back over and pull the contactor back in, giving you full use of your fuseboard again.

I've explained it in very basic terms and there is more to know than just what I've said. Speak to a decent electrician to discuss your options on price etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back