major extension plans

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

I have just drawn these up - my parents are torn between extending and moving! (This is a very nice area and convenient for my work, easy access for A1m half a mile away) The house is tight between 2 other properties - the adjoining semi having also extended for a garage on the ground floor, so neither have a side alley. So the only way is back and forward! Opinions from those in the know - is this too much extending for this type of house? Other houses on the street have done similar work on the front, with a simple single storey lean to with bays on top, so I dont think this will be a problem with the planners.

The rear extension, however, might be a problem. The 2 buildings (4 houses either way) either side of ours have not extended in this way. Almost all have a ground floor extension, but nobody has had a 1st floor ext, and certainly not this scale. Some opinions from those in the know would be nice. Cheers. (Bear in mind, this is all in my head at the moment, it probably wont ever happen, but its always nice to get feedback lol)

Sponsored Links
why the bump into bedroom 4?

just have the door on the other wall, and then you don't lose that space..

the wall with the door in it shown can then be fitted out with wardrobes..

I had typed a long reply earlier, but explorer crashed :evil: Here goes . . .

I did the bump into bedroom 4 because I was using the void where the bathroom window was for doors. However looking at it, to the right of the door would need to be quite a wide bit of wall to support the RSJ above bedroom 4. So the door would be better, as you say, on the other wall. The bump would still be there though, for the structural support. Unless I could get a suitably small RSJ to span that whole length (about 11-12 feet) and reposition the structural support. It would only be supporting the weight of the roof and ceilings, no masonry. It would definitely come below the ceiling, because the eaves currently create a slight slope in the ceiling against the external walls so the RSJ would sit below this :confused: Not sure how this would be tackled. :confused:
Diagram to help:

In the kitchen, there are two support columns that i drew on, assuming the weight of the whole external wall as it stands, but would both columns be needed if the back wall was removed upstairs as i have drawn and there was just the weight of the floors and ceilings and roof?

The step up into the front bedroom - would this be ok? The doorway sits on the original top step, as the landing has changed direction.

Downstairs, a lot of walls have been removed. Can the padstones be built into the existing walls? Or is a support column nessecary that would show? Does it depend on the weight and the type of wall? (I've shown the RSJ support areas in blocks of blue)

Forget flat roof - bad idea. New roof plan including next door:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back