Make an old acrylic bath shine again.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, this is my first post, I tried to look if I should introduce myself first but couldn`t find where so hello everyone.
My old acrylic bath is badly scratched, nothing deep but milions of fine scratches all over the surface, its about 20 years old so its just wear and tear and using the wrong things to clean it.
When it gets dirty I either use like a plastic style scotch brite pad to clean it with washing up powder or vim, probably the wrong thing to clean it but with a lot of work I get it 100% clean, yeah but its very dull.
You can bring back the shine to a gleaming non slippery finish in 5 minutes. Im not telling you to use any kind of scourer on your bath, this post is if your bath is already dull.
After its nice and clean make sure its bone dry with no bits of dust or hair anywhere inside the bath, then get a strongish piece of kitchen roll and pour a little, and i mean a little bit of Johnsons Klear wax onto the bottom of the bath. This stuff is for floors, sealed wood, cork ceramic tiles etc.With the kitchen roll cover the whole surface with a thin coat, make sure its all covered but beware it runs if its applied too thick, Check after a few minutes, if its running just go over it with a piece of kitchen roll to take off the excess, Check again in approx 5 mins for more runs then if there is take it off again. The finished result is a shiny bath that will last a few months if you are gentle with it. It will come off eventually though but it does last a while, a bit like car wax I suppose. Try not to use anything on it that will scratch it as it does show up the scratches but if you are maybe selling up or you just want to bring a sparkle back then give it a try. As I said its only a temporary fix but it makes it look like new again.
Steve, the cladder.

Sponsored Links
I also have a tip for remove fine scratches (and dirt) completely and give a gleaming shine.

Use the metal cleaner Brasso on a soft cloth (microfibre are good), then buff it off with another clean soft cloth.

It will not get rid of deep scratches but some of the fine ones and it will make your bath gleam like new, if you get any on the taps or waste it polishes them too as an added bonus!!

I have a top tip for cleaning kitchen stainless steel and woodgrain effect UPVC windows if anyone if interested! :D

Haha I wasn't sure anyone would be interested.

Use a small amount of baby oil on some kitchen roll to clean kitchen stainless steel. Wipe any excess off with a clean piece of kitchen roll.

For the wood effect UPVC windows/soffits use WD-40, they look brand new with one wipe and it repels the rain so they stay clean for longer.

Alot cheaper than the 'special products' sold to do these jobs and it works much better!

Sponsored Links
Haha I wasn't sure anyone would be interested.

Use a small amount of baby oil on some kitchen roll to clean kitchen stainless steel. Wipe any excess off with a clean piece of kitchen roll.

For the wood effect UPVC windows/soffits use WD-40, they look brand new with one wipe and it repels the rain so they stay clean for longer.

I knew about the baby oil but hadn't heard of the WD-40 for the windows, although I know it can be used to clean a host of other things. I'll keep it in mind for future use.

Cheers,
mrH :)

I'll give the brasso a go next time its dulled down, the klear wax is still looking good meanwhile until it starts getting scratched with a loofah or something. So does it make the bath slippery with brasso or not? The klear wax doesn't but sounds like the brasso could be a long term better option.How often approx do you need to use the brasso? Regards, Steve, the cladder..

Using the Brasso is like polishing a car, I don't seem to remember it being anymore slippy than the bath is when you buy it new. It's like it removes the very top layer of Acrylic (but not noticably) thats why the faint scratches are removed. Works a treat on white plastic bath panels as well, better than CIF.

I did it maybe 4 or 5 times over the last 10 years living in last house. Moved to a new house last year and the 10year old acrylic bath was real bad, used half a tin of brasso on it and sold the basic suite for £180 on Ebay!

I forgot to say I have only ever tried this on a white acrylic bath, I can't say how it would work on coloured ones (if you still get coloured baths?!?!)

Autosol metal polish also works a treat on glass electric hobs, my parents have been using it for 20 years on their glass hob and it still looks brand new. You only need a tiny bit and very little effort to get it clean like new.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back