Making a false stud wall inside garage, Help.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, i wonder if anyone can offer me some advice. I am putting a false interior wall inside my garage. Gonna used wood stud wall with insulation in between and plasterboard on top. Problem i have is here http://www.ldistudios.com/garagepic.jpg
(The wood alongside the brickstud is 2x6)

As you can see i have these brick studs all around the wall. This means that i must use 2x6 wood studs to cover these with a straight wall as i imagine staggering 2x4 studs around them would be problematic. Ideally i would like to use 2x4 for space requirements. would i be able to simply remove these brick studs as they are not supporting any ceiling, or am i missing something?

If i can remove them whats the best way?
Any advice would be most welcome.

Ok ive since been informed i cant remove the brick piers, with that in mind should i use 2x4 and stagger the wall around them or shall i just use 2x6 and create a straight wall?
Or is there any other alternatives to the wood stud walls, as i need the place to be habitable.

cheers
chris

Sponsored Links
Ok so your converting the room into habitable space, what have you done on your building regs plans?

I cannot see why you cannot use 4x2 stud work fixed top and bottom :confused:

sorry i dont mean as in living habitable, but basically into a home cinema, as its a false wall and i cant touch the piers there is no regulations to adhere.

Sponsored Links
splinter said:
I cannot see why you cannot use 4x2 stud work fixed top and bottom :confused:

The problem is there is 6 brick piers and to stagger the plasterboard around all of these would be a lot more work and maybe problematic, unless you can offer advice.

This is my first project/hobby and im trying to find all angles

I think you have it in your mind that you need to use 6x2s to get past the piers.
the studwork does not need to be fixed to the brickwork ,so therfore you can achieve the same said wall with 4x2sor even3x2s .All you have to do is fix the top plate to the roof rafters and the sole plate to the floor :)

Urm why not put a stud each side of the piers and fix the plasterboard between them thus hiding the brick?

splinter said:
I think you have it in your mind that you need to use 6x2s to get past the piers.
the studwork does not need to be fixed to the brickwork ,so therfore you can achieve the same said wall with 4x2sor even3x2s .All you have to do is fix the top plate to the roof rafters and the sole plate to the floor :)

I see what you mean but i was hoping to insulate with the cavity between wall and plasterboard, if i place the top plate and the sole plate 6 inches away from the wall then im not sure if the cavity would be too large. I think im gonna have to stagger the wall around the piers, which means a bit more work with the sole plate and the top plate going around them and also withfour studs per pier needed to cover them.

thanks guys

For any studio or home cinema, there is no such thing as too large a cavity. The bigger airspace between brick and plasterboard, the greater soundproofing you will achieve , the louder you can watch your movies! When fitting the insulation it doesn't matter if it doesn't fill the cavity, make sure it's touching the inner wall though, zig-zag string or garden wire on the back of the stud wall and compress the insulaton against this, then add plasterboard, preferably 2 layers of 12mm. and use a thick bead of acoustic sealant around the perimeters of all walls.

Another issue is that staggering around the piers will create many alcoves in the walls, which will mess up the sound from your speakers. Keep the walls straight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back