making a fence higher and stronger

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have two german shepard dogs and they keep jumping a four in half Foot tall fence, how do i make it so they can't jump it or should i make it taller and how can i do that. And how can i keep them from digging under it.

Sponsored Links
why ask, since you said

jasaminepetals said:
should i make it taller

it would be best to have a whole new fence that is both taller and deeper.

Sponsored Links
increase the height with trellis panels.
to stop thm digging you need to give them somewhere else to dig. you can do this by making a dog pit. Dig a hole about 750mm deep and fill it with coarse sand and gravel. Bury a treat or toy in it and introduce the ogs to it. Praise them when they dig in it and tell them off when they dig at the fence. put a treat in it everyday or they will become bored and they will soon learn where to dig and leave the rest of the garden alone

I know that GSDs can jump fences 7 feet tall; the way to stop them but not build Fort Knox is to have a top fencing panel leaning diagonally in. They can jump straight up and over, but not up, in and over! Don't ask me how to build it, though - I know dogs, not DIY!

For the digging under use concrete blocks under the ground level, and if that doesn't do it you can get spray that dogs don't like the smell of, so they won't want to hang around by the fence!

Hope that helps; I had a similar problem recently with my greyhound!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back