Making a frame for chipboard walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Greetings from Norway.

I have a room which needs new walls installing. There is currently no surface bar the internal fibreglass insulation blocks which are hard, but very large grained.

I've been told that the best way to prepare a smooth wall surface is to attach a wooden frame to the walls and then use these as a base for the tongue-and-groove chipboard panels that are used throughout my house.

Any suggestions for techniques for doing this would be appreciated, I've not done anything like this before.

In the same room the current floor level is about 8cm below the rest of the rooms and I was pondering ways of raising it. The obvious answer is to pour concrete to level it up, but given the room is some 35m^2 it's a lot of concrete!

I wondered if the frame for the walls could be done all around the floor, too, and then the gaps packed with insulations and chipboard screwed in on top to provide a base for a laminate floor. Any thoughts?

A very long rambling first post - sorry :)

Mart.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back