Making wardrobes etc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning to make some wardrobes. Does anyone know if you can buy timber board in anything other than pine.. I was hoping to use some IKEAesque birch or other pale and trendy wood.
Am I being too ambitious here? Should I just give up and make that trip to MFI??
I'd love to here anyones experiences in this area...
Thanks, Colin

Sponsored Links
I've been renovating our house and have just finished the upper floor bedrooms. To be honest, if you want to create a reasonable look, you either have to be very proficient with power tools, routers, etc or you have to do something fairly plane and simple if your building your own. I build most of my own stuff when I think the costs are worth it, and decent wardrobes are just as cost effective and probably better when factory made. So I'd go with the MFI idea.

Sponsored Links
Unless you have lots of space and some pritty professional equipment making wardrobes from sheet material can be a bit of a pain. Why not frame out your wardrobes in 2 x 1 and then plank and line them with solid wood. Some interesting and modern effects can be achieved with cheap carcassing softwood to make the doors and lining. A face frame of better quality softwood can be made to complete the job.

The only power tool you will need is a chop saw for these purposes a cheap one will do - can buy for less than £50.00.

Remember it is most essential to plan and design everything before you start. The more detailed the planning the better the end result will be. :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back