"Masonry" inner leaf?


Big Tone

My friend has had an offer accepted on a house and just had an RICS HomeBuyer Report back. I’ve done a search on a term they have used, (below), but cannot find this thing about a “masonry inner leaf”.

I get the inner leaf bit and can see how it could be brick or breezeblock etc. but exactly what is this masonry leaf? It’s standard construction, or so I assume from all the others in the road, but masonry sounds like big slabs of not-standard construction concrete for all I know. When I've heard non-standard mentioned, AFAIK it always relates to the outside wall anyway I think, which is definately bricks here. House build is estimated at 1950. Here’s the paragraph they mention...

"The walls which are approximately 275mm (11”) thick have a masonry inner leaf and an outer skin of brick with the two leaves being separated by an air gap."

In their report, they seem concerned about high levels of damp but the house has been vacant for weeks, or months, and we’ve just had the wettest winter on record. Also, can whatever this double wall is be cavity filled?
Sponsored Links
21 Jan 2007
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Masonry generally just means brick or blockwork. without knocking some plaster off or maybe looking from the loft or whatever the surveyor will just say masonry to cover himself. he could have written a brick or block inner leaf instead.

Big Tone

Oh ta

So it's a generic term in the absence knowing what is actually used. I tended to think it's the filling used between bricks; like bricks and motrtar. (Duh). :oops: Shortest thread on Earth... :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links