Who owns Materials used bu builder?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wanted some extra protection for my neighbours house when contractors took a walk down and paid over £500. Which isn't the issue.

The ply was classed as a material. Who does the ply belong to after completion of job?

Apparently it's theirs to keep and use on another job as that is standard practice.

To me that just feels like building the builders equipment for them. But I know nothing at all and would just be grateful for clarification.

Thankyou in advance

Sponsored Links
You paid for a job and got it done.
I understand that you wanted to keep a sheet of ply.
IME the builder would have no objection and you would be left with the ply to rot in your garden for a few years.
Then cut it to pieces and dispose of it.

Sponsored Links
Hi

I have spoken with the company. They supplied approx 5 boards of 5x8 foot ply for "propping" to our next door neighbours house side as we had 3 brick outbuildings to demolish. When the guy said we could do this I thought he meant as part of the job on a labour and materials basis as per the rest of the job.

But it's classed and charged as a separate element including getting the boards from site and a premium for reduction of risk to anothers property during the job. He apologised for not outlining this before starting but we would have agreed anyway. It's far more preferable than taking a whole house wall out with heavy slabs.

Just one of those things that you only know when you know.

Thanks again.

..... The moral of the story is, assume nothing and triple check everything.

Hi.

The misunderstanding arose because the company did not indicate the propping to the neighbours wall was classed as an "add on" service if we wanted. We thought it was charged as a supply and labour charge and if so we're we allowed to retain the materials. But this doesn't apply So it's cleared up now.

Thankyou for your reply.

I wanted some extra protection for my neighbours house when contractors took a walk down and paid over £500. Which isn't the issue.

The ply was classed as a material. Who does the ply belong to after completion of job?

Apparently it's theirs to keep and use on another job as that is standard practice.

To me that just feels like building the builders equipment for them. But I know nothing at all and would just be grateful for clarification.

Thankyou in advance

So they supplied and temporary fitted 5 sheets of ply for £500?

If so, then one would expect tge ply is yours if you ask for it. Did you actually ask for it , and did they actually refuse?

Sponsored Links
Back