Matt over silk - explain the simple way please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I posted a little while ago about a disasterous paint job I had done which I am still trying to put right!!

My question now is how do I avoid the same problem with my other rooms? I now realise that the problem (cracking paint) was caused by painting matt emulsion over silk. All the rooms are silk. I would prefer a matt finish but really can't face another disaster. I also did NOT sand before I started.

Can someone please explain a simple step by step procedure to paint my rooms without cracks. Can I put matt over the silk (if I sand it down this time), should I repaint with more silk or is lining paper the way to go?

Thanks

Saz

Sponsored Links
Rub down all Silk surfaces till sheen has gone. Then apply a coat of Leylend Vinyl Matt over the area. Thats the trick realy. Caution though, and that is Leyland Vinyl Matt Brilliant White has terrible covering power over coloured surfaces.

Third_Eye said:
Rub down all Silk surfaces till sheen has gone. Then apply a coat of Leylend Vinyl Matt over the area. Thats the trick realy. Caution though, and that is Leyland Vinyl Matt Brilliant White has terrible covering power over coloured surfaces.

You might want to think about using wet an dry paper to rub it down with..240 grade should do.

Ordinary abrasive paper clogs terrible when you rub silk down

Thirds...why Leyland?...does it handle the silk cracking problem better than other brands?

In my experience "Zampa", 'yes' is the answer to your question. The reason is, i have never experienced "Crazing" with Leyland Vinyl Matt over silk, but i have with other brands. Also, i find when using Leyland Vinyl Matt over silk that there is no need to thin down. However, on the other hand, Dulux Trade Vinyl Matt, can be to thick to be applied unthinned, over silk. This can cause "Splitting" of the 'Cutting In' from the brush marks when using Dulux Trade Vinyl Matt over silk. If u c wot i mean. However, Dulux Trade is good paint. It's just that certain Brands have better paint for different enviroments, whether intentional or non-intentional, by paint makers !

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back