max size extension without planning permission

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I understand that I can build a single story rear extension to my semi without obtaining planning permission. The extension has to be under 70m3, but I have had conflicting reports on whether or not I have to include my porch in the 70m3.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
are you building a new porch at the same time??

It is all down to "permitted developments". many local authorities have a "pd enquiry form" or similar service which is free of charge and basically fill this in and they will tell you if it is allowed or not.

Basically (if you are doing both) they are both seperate permitted development and therefore are seperate to each other. The maximum size for a porch without planning permission is 3m2 floor area.

Please check with your local authority all are different.

Alternatively speak to a service offering plan design, best place to look is under architectural services in the yellow pages rather than architects who will want to design you a castle and charge around 75-100% more!!!

Thanks for your help. The porch is existing and I have now been told by the planning dept that it has to be included in the 70m3. If I want it in writing I have to pay £55 and submit a plan!

Which local authority is that because that doesn't sound very fair! seperate pd's should always remain seperate, the local authorities i deal with do not consider the 70m3 to be the complete area of all pd's your also allowed to build a garage on your property (most local authorities) without planning permission, would that mean that they would want you to include this within any 70m3!!

Sponsored Links
London Borough of Hillingdon. I can build a garage as long as its not within 5 metres of the extension.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back