maytag admiral american style top loading washing machine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
bought one of these but the hot water takes about one and a half hours to fill

i stay in a bungalow and the hot water tank is in a cupboard on the same level as the machine
there is also no water heater in the machine

can i fit some sort of pump to the hot water pipe to increase flow

Sponsored Links
think you will find maytags are designed to be cold fill only

well mine has hot and cold inlet pipes and as i said there is no water heater so if it is a cold fill only how does the water get hot!!!!

i missed that bit :oops: but the water never gets hot since it has no heater. When i was in the states the washer (as they call them) had about 3 settings, cold, warm, mild, so it depends on setting as to how much hot water comes in.

Americans really do believe in washing in cold water, you also need the correct powder too (only wish i was joking) "daz" and the like will work but not as well as if you used it in a front loader with heater.

Back to your question, doubtfull is the answer.

if you put a pump from the hot supply of the tank it will (after a while) "suck" water not pump it.

lets put it another way.

hot water comes out of the cylinder because the tap is open and cold water can get in from the tank above your hot water cylinder.

The pressure of the water going in, is the pressure of the water coming out (almost) so the only way to solve your problem is to raise the cold tank feeding the cylinder. this will give it greater "head" (so more pressure) so the hot water will come out faster

Sponsored Links
It may not help much but you may find there is a flow restrictor in the hot inlet valve. I don't know about your machine but European models have a filter on the water inlet and behind that there is a round plastic disc that can be pulled out with pliers and discarded. It sounds like your machine would work best with a high power combi boiler, supplying hot water at mains pressure.

yes the plan is to replace the central heating boiler with a combi eventually but this washing machine is ruining the kids clothes and er indoors is not best pleased

venus de milo said:
yes the plan is to replace the central heating boiler with a combi eventually but this washing machine is ruining the kids clothes and er indoors is not best pleased

may i ask why you brought it?

also maytag are not That popular here in the UK and bing a top loader it must use a lot of water every time it fills and rinses, i believe hotpoint no longer make a toploader now

You could buy a small unvented "undersink"mains water heater..15litres I think. that MAY run off a 13amp ring main...ask the electrical Diynot. and use that to feed the machine...Only viable if machine is new, due to cost of heater :(

We got the washing machine tumble dryer package and the dryer is fantastic

she wanted it because it takes big loads which meant cutting down on the time it was on

it was also as a result of a florida villa holiday where she was impressed with the ones fitted there

interesting, but did you notice if the ones in usa washed in hot, the ones i saw didnt,, but they were not maytag.

perhaps keep the dryer sell the washer

it did wash in hot

we were thinking more along the lines of
keep the dryer
take the washing machine into the garden and smash it up with a sledge hammer

Let us know if you eBay it, and I`ll go for the heater to fill it, will only bid a couple of quid :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back