MDF project - tool advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

I'm in the process of considering starting a project, if you know what I mean, and there's something I hope you can help me clear up.
The plan is to build a case out of MDF, approximately 40*40*30cm, which will involve cutting the pieces of MDF to length, and also cutting holes into some of the panels.
I was thinking of using 10-15mm thick MDF, and am wondering what tools would be suitable for the job.
I'm considering getting myself a dremel-type affair, to deal with some of the more fiddly bits, but am doubtful if this would be suitable for cutting 40cm straight edges through 15mm board. If this is the case would a cheap and simple jigsaw be more what I'm after?

Thanks in advance, any info or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
jigsaw is good for...............jigsaws, blades wobble no strait edges, get a circular saw, but do bear in mind they cut through almost anything including fingers, so as its your first time be very careful

when i use mine i clam mateial at both ends, you can do this and also clamp a bit of say 2x2 and keep the saw butted to this so that you get strait edge where you want it.

obviously the 2x2 is set to the right "depth" you want to cut

circular saws also cut "work mates" in half, no i didnt but almost

For such a small project (assuming you've got nothing else in the pipeline) I'd have thought you'd be better off buying the wood already cut to size, and saving on the cost of buying the power tools. Most timber merchants and I think even some of the sheds (B&Q) would cut the material to the correct size for you if you take in a list of the measurements. Alternatively you could hire a decent circular saw for a day or so from a local hire shop.

Although thinking about it further, surely you could use a handsaw? A decent saw would cut up those panels in no time...

get a circular saw

Yeah, I was afraid someone would say something like that. It'd probably be the right thing to do, but I can't really justify getting one just for this small job.

This shouldn't be a problem though, as I went round Homebase today and they've got a board cutting service, which I reckon would be the best way to go.

One thing though, which I didn't think of while I was there, was that I'll need some holes cut in some of the boards, different shapes and sizes but of the order 100*100mm.
I'm wondering if this is something that somewhere like Homebase would be prepared to do, or if I'll have to look into other methods, and if so what they might be.

Sponsored Links
they cannot cut anything other than strait line with the machines [board cutting services]

i personaly think you need a reasonable quality jigsaw for the cutouts anyway

if its accurate enough and you use a strait edge you could cut your panels with it
but you need an accurate jigsaw and sharp blades so why not buy a jigsaw [about 60 to £80] and see how you get on with it

i would use 12mm mdf any thinner you wont have anything to screw into
you can use 3 or 6mm for the back

Thanks big-all, I thought that would be the case.

I think I'll be using 12mm for the main construction, as well as some 6mm sections.

I'll get the panels cut and then look into getting myself a jigsaw, or possibly hiring one, to do the cutouts.

Thanks for the help, I'm sure I'll be back with more questions pretty soon.

if your talking about smallish or shaped cut outs it wont matter if the jigsaw has a slight tendency to wander as youll be following a line freehand

also your mdf cuts easily and offers less resistance

blades tend to wander more the heavier the load all depends on the individual jigsaw

some jigsaws dont wander off line at all buy one for about £70 and see how it perfoms
youll need to buy one soon enough and youll regret wasting £20 on hiring one :LOL: :LOL: ;)

Bear in mind you get what you pay for (mostly) I have had a b&d jigsaw for years, recently replaced it with a dewalt cordless - now I wonder how I ever managed with such a pice of junk!
Depending on your finances, grab youself a decent jigsaw, I'll bet you enjoy this project so much you'll start something else pretty soon.
If the actual holes are all the same size, you might be as well with a hole saw - this fit into an electric/cordless drill - again, ideally keep away from the cheap kits - I learnt this one the hard way recently.

Really the best thing to do is invest in the power tools, or just buy a decent hand-saw in my opinion. My Bosch £60 green jigsaw has the pendulum action which is great for quick rough cuts. I also have a B&D professional grade circular saw that I have had for several years. That was about £100 and is quite a beast.

With regard to the wood-cutting services, there is a little disclaimer saying they will only cut wood to something like 15mm tolerance (b&q deffo has one of these signs). Also, the blade they use has a reasonably wide kerf (the width of wood you actually "lose" to the blade as it turns it to sawdust.

I have not really had any problems with b&q, apart from idiots working the saw, who probably do not measure accurately, and always try to talk as if they know better than you.

If you are a DIY novice, I would use a handsaw in this case. Because you will be cutting more slowly, as the blade starts to wander, you have time to correct it. With a power tool, once you go off the line, it is pretty much too late. If you want to use power tools, get bits of wood to practice on.

azc said:
.......just buy a decent hand-saw in my opinion.
The sharpness and set on a handsaw will not last very long on man-made boards (chipboard, plywood and MDF) - be prepared to resharpen often. A "decent" 22in panel saw like a Roberts & Lee or a "Pax" will cost £40 plus (my last R & L actually cost £65) - good saws simply can't be had for a tenner! They may be a problem to maintain as good sharpeners are hard to find these days.

azc said:
....... Also, the blade they use has a reasonably wide kerf
The kerf on most 300mm diameter saw blades the kerf is typically 3.2mm, whilst on saws up to 400mm it is typically 3.5mm. These are the sizes of blades used on wall saws

Personally I'd find a local timber yard or joinery shop who offer a cutting service - they might cost a pound or two more than B&Q (and I only say might), but they should be able to cut dead to size for you

If you do decide to use a handsaw, read some advice on sawing to the line, such as this.

Scrit

Agreed.....

I just don't trust b&q (or rather their employees).

I once had some guy in b&q cut some mdf for me. He cut it to 39" rather than 36" as i asked him to. I went back the following day to get it corrected, and he was still working the saw. He looked me dead in the face and tried to tell me that he didn't cut any wood for me yesterday. Bloody liar.

Yes, a proper Timber yard will take the care to get it cut down properly I reckon.

azc said:
Agreed.....

I just don't trust b&q (or rather their employees).

I once had some guy in b&q cut some mdf for me. He cut it to 39" rather than 36" as i asked him to. I went back the following day to get it corrected, and he was still working the saw. He looked me dead in the face and tried to tell me that he didn't cut any wood for me yesterday. b****y liar.

Yes, a proper Timber yard will take the care to get it cut down properly I reckon.

the seceret is to check on the way to the till and if they have made a mistake

just leave it lying by the other 50%of the boards with dents and dings
take a new sheet and start again their mistake their problem ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back