Measuring Earth leakage current.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have one of those intermittent tripping RCDs. My suspicions are that it is a cummulative earth leakage across several circuits. e.g. garden lights, kitchen, etc. Can anyone tell me how to measure what the earth leakage current is across each circuit in turn so I can narrow down the search for the high leakage circuits.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Rosie, firstly can you answer these questions.

1: What type of equipment are installed on the circuits that the RCD protects?

2: What rating is the RCD (A/mA)

3:Does it trip at certain times, like when a given circuit is under most load or at certain times of day?

4: Do you possess a Multimeter?

Hi,

Thanks for the prompt reply,

1: What type of equipment are installed on the circuits that the RCD protects?

The RCD is part of a MK CU and it protects all the household circuits. So standard stuff, shower, washing machine, ring main, outside lighting, garage sockets.

2: What rating is the RCD (A/mA)

It's rated at 80A/30mA.

3:Does it trip at certain times, like when a given circuit is under most load or at certain times of day?

No particular time of day for tripping, I suspect the kitchen circuit but can't confirm that. unplugging different appliances doesn't narrow it down. Which is why I suspect it is a cumulative leakage.

4: Do you possess a Multimeter?

Yep, got a multimeter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back