Mega Flo system - terrible smell?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A couple of weeks ago we came home to discover a terrible smell which we thought was gas - it was like rotten eggs. We called out someone who confirmed there was no gas leak. Today, we have the awful smell again, and this time I've tracked it down to a pipe that is part of our Mega Flo water heater system.

I should say I didn't install - and know nothing about - this system. There are a number of copper supply pipes, but two of them emerge from under the floor, with a plastic pipe surrounding them which is open at the top end. I can feel a constant supply of air emerging from this plastic pipe, and that's where this noxious smell is coming from. I haven't had the Mega Flo turned on for a number of weeks as the electric point is out of action, so perhaps this could be something to do with stagnant air being released from the dormant system?

Anyone have any ideas and suggestions before I call a plumber out to take a look? It doesn't make any sense to me considering the Mega Flo is supposed to be an unvented system.

Many Thanks to all who've taken the time to read this...

Sponsored Links
The plastic pipe which should be copper to take the heat sounds like the discharge pipe from the safety features.

The smell could be coming up that pipe from an outside drain :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Find the other end of the pipe and the problem should be resolved.

Thanks. I've checked for drains (we've only recently moved in) and there are no open drains to be seen, only covered sewer holes in the front and back gardens. I think you must be right though.

I'm assuming the Mega Flo wouldn't have been plumbed into these mains systems?

Andwarr said:
Thanks. I've checked for drains (we've only recently moved in) and there are no open drains to be seen, only covered sewer holes in the front and back gardens. I think you must be right though.

I'm assuming the Mega Flo wouldn't have been plumbed into these mains systems?

As I said you need to find the end, DIYers and cowboys have been know to connect the discharge pipe direct to a soil pipe without a trap.

Sponsored Links
If they used plastic instead of copper for the D2 pipe then anything could happen. Obviously an incompetent installer.

The smell will be coming from the other end of the pipe and entering the room through the tundish. All you can do is take steps to remove the source of the smell. A qualified fitter should be able to find an alternate point of discharge for the pipe if you have no joy with clearing the smell.

Megaflows are potentially bombs and should only be fitted or worked on by someone with the relevant Unvented Direct Hot Water systems qualification.

Keep your eye out for water dripping through the tundish. This again will require the attention of a qualified person.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back