Melted dual-fuel towel rail element!!! :-/

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently fitted a dual fuel heated towel rail in my bathroom, but installed the element in the top left-hand corner (where the existing bleed valve was) instead of at the bottom where I believe they are normally fitted. I've used it fine over the last few weeks but today forgot to turn it off after the typical half an hour I usually leave it on for. I went out for a couple of hours and came back to a strong burning smell... basically the element (600w) had overheated and much of the visible white plastic has melted. So although it still works okay, I think I need to get a new one. Questions...

1) don't these things have an internal thermostat that should prevent this from happening?

2) should I have installed the unit at the bottom rather than at the top of the towel rail? If so, would this have prevented the overheating?

3) if I do have to re-orient the element to enter from the bottom rather than the top (using one of these T-pieces I've just found out about that conveniently wasn't supplied with my kit) won't I need to re-jig my pipework?

4) if I buy a lower-rated element, can I keep it as a top entry without fears of overheating?

Thanks in advance...

Sponsored Links
1) Refer to manufacturer's information.

2) Refer to manufacturer's information.

3) Refer to manufacturer's information.

4) Refer to manufacturer's information.

Manufacturers are surprisingly useful if you want to know how to use one of their products.

RTFI? Yes, agreed, I normally would, HOWEVER, both the element and the towel rail itself were supplied from my local plumbing shop without any instructions. At all. :mad: Hence my questions... Also, no manufacturer's name as far as I can see. Wasn't cheap tho...

Well if you don't know who made it, what chance do we have? Go back to the place you bought it from and get the info from there. They are legally obliged to provide it.

Sponsored Links
2) Yes, Yes

4) No. Radiators and towel rails on a hot water system tend to accumulate "air" at the top, which is why you bleed them. If the electric element is designed to be immersed in water, rather like a kettle element, then it won't take kindly to being boiled dry. (warning: some people on this site will be annoyed as it is a silly mistake).

Then I say to them Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense ;) It`s a Diy forum and the guy`s not a plumber :eek: And furthermore I think most electrical things should come with instructions and a CE mark :?: Y`know it may be one for the Consumer`s Assn.

No, but have you read the thread " why does diynot have an electrics forum" :LOL: I`m Just trying to jump on the "I know Latin " bandwagon...you caught me out :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back