Method of laying tiles in bathroom?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The house we're in is pretty new and currently has the same laminate flooring running from the bedroom through to the ensuite. This has started to lift with the moisture so I'm thinking of tiling the floor of the bathroom.

At the moment the laminate is down on the big green sheets of whatever it's called (slightly springy matting, about 10mm thick), which are in turn on the original (also green) sheets of what I believe to be chipboard - I assume chipboard has replaced T&G these days for covering joists?

I'd like to lay tiles in the bathroom - trusting their water resistance more than laminates. Am I right in assuming I'll need to take the old laminate up, and the green matting underneath, then lay a 12mm piece of marine ply down over the chipboard. How far apart should I screw the marine ply to the chipboard?

Should I PVA seal the marine ply?

What is the best adhesive to fix the tiles to the ply?

I'm going to have to cut around the WC base and hand-basin pedestal otherwise I'll be drilling new fixing holes in the walls - what's the best tool to use to cut curves in tiles?

Is there a recommended size for floor tiles, or can I use anything from BIG to mosaic? The reality is that the floor area is only about 1m x 1.5m.

I also assume I'll need to leave an expansion gap under the door line, but I'm hoping the floor level will work out similar between the underlay/laminate and marine ply/tile systems.

Thanks for any advice :)

Sponsored Links
kopperdrake said:
At the moment the laminate is down on the big green sheets of whatever it's called (slightly springy matting, about 10mm thick), which are in turn on the original (also green) sheets of what I believe to be chipboard - I assume chipboard has replaced T&G these days for covering joists?
Chipboard flooring generally is T&G - if you mean that it's generally replaced pine floorboards then you're right.

I'd like to lay tiles in the bathroom - trusting their water resistance more than laminates. Am I right in assuming I'll need to take the old laminate up, and the green matting underneath, then lay a 12mm piece of marine ply down over the chipboard.
That's a sound plan. WBP ply is cheaper and perfectly adequate though.

How far apart should I screw the marine ply to the chipboard?
Do you mean how far apart should the screws be? If so, then somewhere around 300mm should be enough to stop it lifting. A smear of wood glue on the underside will help too.

Should I PVA seal the marine ply?
No - you can't seal anything with PVA, and you can tile straight onto the ply anyway.

What is the best adhesive to fix the tiles to the ply?
Any good quality (i.e. avoid the sheds) flexible floor tile adhesive that's intended for tiling on wood.

Personally, for wooden floors, I use N&C, Weber and Feb, in order of preference. However, if you ask your tile supplier and buy whatever they recommend, then as long as you've given them all the facts and then follow the adhesive manufacturer's instructions, you can't be held to blame for any problems of poor adhesion.

I'm going to have to cut around the WC base and hand-basin pedestal otherwise I'll be drilling new fixing holes in the walls - what's the best tool to use to cut curves in tiles?
There are various methods, depending on the type of tile.

Frankly, I would avoid tiling up the pan and pedestal at all costs - when the time comes to replace them you'll never match the shape that you've created in the floor, and you'll wish that you'd lifted them and tiled underneath.

Is there a recommended size for floor tiles, or can I use anything from BIG to mosaic? The reality is that the floor area is only about 1m x 1.5m.
Whatever looks right to you (or your better half, if you have one). I'm not a big fan of mosaics for the general fiddliness when grouting, but you'll be doing it so it's up to you.

I also assume I'll need to leave an expansion gap under the door line, but I'm hoping the floor level will work out similar between the underlay/laminate and marine ply/tile systems.
OK - you can choose from a variety of types of door strip to cover that gap.

Softus - thanks for the reply - great advice!

It looks like I have a project to do this autumn then ;) And yes, the better half will no doubt make the final decision. Mind you - she had the llifting laminate put down before I moved in so I've got the upper hand at the moment, not that I'd ever be foolish enough to point that out of course.

Sponsored Links
I know this is more work, is it possible to remove the T&G boards and replace it with WPB 18mm plywood to keep the floor level down

I haven't lifted the laminate yet, but from what I can remember elsewhere in the house the internal partitions were just dropped on top of the chipboard so might need cutting round the room edge, which feels a bit messy?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back