MFI vs Howdens

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening!

On the advice of my sparky, I have asked howdens to quote on the MFI kitchen I have been planning. Their quote came in at about 9% lower than the MFI quote.

The specific questions I have is :

1. How do the carcasses compare? That is the Deluxe flat pack from MFI versus the basic Howdens. This is the most important thing for me, because I have had a Deluxe flat pack when I installed a "Nebraska" MFI kitchen recently, and it was fine. Does the Howdens carcass compare favourably to that? (they call "Nebraska" "Stornoway"). If so it seems a no-brainer to get a Howdens as it's ready made. Is that right? It would be great to hear from anyone with experience of the two suppliers.

2. My quote from Howdens offered me a 75% discount from their list price. Is that about right for a new account?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
someone can correct me if i'm wrong,but i'm pretty sure they are one and the same.one supplies the other,they just call them different names,i seem to remember speaking to a customer a while back,she wanted a new kitchen,when i arrived on site she had the mfi brochure and i had the howdens.after looking through my books she decided their was nothing in them that she wanted,but had seen one in the mfi book that she liked.on closer inspection i realised the range she wanted was in my book,the two pictures were of the same kitchen but taken from different angles.everything was exactly the same,right down to the toaster,kettle and microwave,both pics probably came off the same roll of film,grab yourself a brochure from both and check it out,i'm sure i'm right.if i'm wrong go for howdens anyway,cabs are good quality.

bendylow said:
someone can correct me if i'm wrong,but i'm pretty sure they are one and the same.
Not since last October when the Galiform group sold off the MFI retail arm to some French (?) outfit. In the short term the new owners will be selling the Hygena or Schreiber stuff (can't remember which it is) that is also knocked-out through Howdens.

I'd agree with thge comments about the cabs being good quality, though. Worktops are a bit odd, though at 616mm wide (almost everyone else use 600mm so you need to remember this when cutting butt and scribe joints)

Scrit

Have dealt with Howdens for a couple of years now and understand that they are the trade side of MFI. All units used are rigid built Shcreiber ones. Had no probs with them and they will price match any other price you find no questions asked.

Sponsored Links
I have just had it confirmed that the drawers will be grey metal (which in my opinion should be better than the brown deluxe MFI).

So, am going ahead with howdens.

P.S. delivery is much quicker too ...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back