Mid Life Crisis

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mid-Life Crisis

I have just turned 45 this weekend just gone and fed up with office work. I enjoy carpentry and am thinking of re-training as a joiner, carpenter or cabinet-maker.

The problem is I have no real idea where to start. The only course locally is a basic woodworking course where you decide your project and do the work there with their tools and the tutor is there if you need help.

Does anybody have any experience of a similar change of career and/or how to go about it?

Cheers

Aldo's Dad
:confused:

Sponsored Links
I dont know if your married or in a steady relationship - but the biggest problem is maintaining a reasonable income when you jump from what you're now doing to what you want to do. You will definetly need support from your nearest and dearest, thats financial and emotional support. Unless you've won the lottery that is.

I know of only one person who did exactly what you want to do - he bought and renovated a couple of houses, had an excellent apptitude to carpentry and then launched himself onto the unsuspecting public. 2 years later and he's doing well. He earns probably 50% of his old salary but loves it. His wife is a GP, so financially his move made little impact to their financial status.

Think big time before you do it - but if you go for it I doubt you'll regret it :D

Aldo'sDad said:
Mid-Life Crisis

I have just turned 45 this weekend just gone and fed up with office work.
I don't enjoy my job but the the time off and the money is good, to get the money and the job you enjoy together is never easy.
I enjoy carpentry and am thinking of re-training as a joiner, carpenter or cabinet-maker.

The problem is I have no real idea where to start.
Why not do it as a hobby to start with then do some job for clients in evening or weekend? Ideally, if you can find a friendly carpenter or semi-retired to tag a long to watch and learn without charging to start with.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back