Miele W865 washing machine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The washer has stopped mid-cycle. The Rinse light is flashing and the m/c won't reset. The outlet is clear and the pump seems to be working.
A mate said that if the motor has brushes, they could need replacing, but newer motors may not have brushes. The m/c is 7 years old.

Any thoughts as to what's wrong please? If it is the brushes, where do I get new ones and how do I fit them?

Thanks
Henpecked1

Sponsored Links
Thanks Zipper, very helpful.
I have taken off some of the plastic bits around the motor but I'm not clear how to get the brushes out. I have attached a pic of what it looks like. Can you tell me what I need to do next please?
Regards
Henpecked1

Don't remove the motor unless you have to. Remove the 4 T20 locating screws from the white plastic brush holder assembly. Then pull it evenly towards you. It should come fairly easily with a little tug. Inspect the brush length & look at the commutator for obvious damage. Check the tacho coil resistance (the cylindrical bump on the end of the brush gear. If the brushes are worn replace them. Before you re-fit the brush assembly push the new brushes up into the holders until they stick. Then fit the brush assembly taking great care to interface the 4 connection spades correctly. Screw it fast, then use a stiff piece of wire to push the brushes out of their holders & onto the commutator. You will hear a distinct "click" when it happens but you have do this bit blind because you can't actually see the brushes.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again zipper. The brushes were fine, I cleaned the commutator and reassembled. Unsurprisingly, no change - Rinse light still flashing.
Is there anything else to check, which is relatively simple?

Does the drum turn easily by hand & is the drive belt in place?
A flashing rinse light on a Miele machine means "no drum movement detected". Had a few cases where the motor wires became detached or shorted at the plug. Other than that it is either a break in motor wiring, bad connection, motor or tacho fault, jammed drum, motor bearings seized or in the worst event a defective pcb. If you can meter out the motor & wiring, otherwise you may be looking at an expensive service visit.

The drum turns ok and the drive belt is in place. The motor wires and plugs looked ok when I took them off. I'm not able to meter the motor tho' - don't know enough!
Looks like a visit from Miele is called for - time to start saving!
Thanks for your help zipper - much appreciated.

Your model should have this pcb http://www.hgt24.de/shop/elektronik-el200c-p-13900.html (sorry, German text only).
There have been issues with both the D & C versions of this pcb. If you're up for a long read & are feeling adventurous it might be worth having a go yourself. It is a LOT cheaper than a new board. This particular fault can occur when washing a very heavy load like blankets, rugs, duvets etc. It can easily wipe out the 6k1 motor reversing relay & pop the 6.3A radial fuse on the pcb....giving you the famous flashing rinse light syndrome.
Happy reading :D //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=130792&start=0

I have read the forums thread, beano1939 said on 5 April 2008 that "If the printing on them RK473 is visible, then they are worn as this is at the top end."

The writing was visible on my brushes, but I rang a local shop that supplies spare bits for washing m/cs and they said brushes aren't worn until they are almost down to the very end. Mine measured 16mm from the brass housing to the shorter end of the brush. They clicked into place when I reinstalled them and pushed them out of the housing.

Are they worn?

In all likelihood I would expect the commutator to have shown signs of arcing if that was the case, yours didn't. But to prove or disprove that particular theory would involve removing the motor completely to see. If you heard a distinct click that was the brushes hitting the comm. If you can get your multimeter test leads on each brush holder you would be able to confirm it that way. If you can read armature resistance then both brushes are in contact with the commutator. I think there is a good chance your pcb is to blame, Miele motors rarely fail. You can confirm it by removing the pcb, locating the 6.3A radial fuse & check it with your multimeter. If it is O/C then the 6k1 relay contacts are most probably shorted. The bits to fix this fault only cost a fiver or so but it involves soldering components.

The pcb is behind the control panel. Take off the program selector (pulls/levers off). Then using a thin knife lever the upper RH side of the plastic display carefully down & forward. Once slightly out of its seating move the knife to the left until it pops out completely. Two T20 screws underneath & the pcb can be moved towards you to disconnect the plugs. Take photos if unsure about anything.

I have ended up removing the whole front panel. There are two pcbs; I have attached photos. Can you tell me where the radial fuse is please?

Ok...I've found the fuse, if it's the brown cylindrical component about 6-7mm high and wide with 6.3a250v on it. There is no reading on the multimeter from the two soldered connection points under the board.

Sorry for a late reply, got to do a little work in between this ;)
Ok, you found the 6.3A radial fuse (just to the right of the heat-sink about where your hand was, but of course you know that now). No continuity means it has popped. Can you identify the 6k1 relay? Looking at your photo it should be the single orange relay on the bottom RH side. This is the motor reversing relay & it has shorted. If you use a Stanley knife or similar you can carefully cut the top off it. Inside you will almost certainly see one side of the relay contacts has shorted closed. This is what is causing you all the grief. Study the long post on this, there are several references to suppliers & part numbers. I always buy mine from Farnell http://uk.farnell.com/ Just type in search for the part numbers of the relay/fuse. Good luck :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back