might be a stupid shower tray question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all,
im about to embark on my most exciting diy project, fitting a shower.
However i want to make absolutely certain that every inch of the way im on the right path, dont want to build a cubicle of death, if you please.
Anyhow heres the first of (im sure many shower instalation questions to come)
1. When putting the tray in, should i put smoething underneath or lay straight onto the floorboards that exist?
2. Should i remove the skirting from the base of the wall where i intend the put the tray so that the tiles, when i fit them overlap the tray sligthly, obviously not fully. As the skirting will be higher than the tray when its layed.

thx in advance

:oops:

Sponsored Links
I built a shower cube not so long ago and laid it on a bed of moist sand/cement to bed it down. (About 2cm thick). My thinking was that this would be pefrectly level rather than relatying on the floor/joists/boards being "almost" level!

I also took off the skirts etc and when installed finsihed round the base.

It shoulkd b noted that my base was a stone/composite type, 900*900 and about 150 high. (might be 120 high...

I tiled to the edge of the base and used those plastic (with rubber edge) finishing strips to ensure a good fit. I also ran a small bead of silicone along the top edge or the 3 wall sides and let this go off before I fitted the tile edging strip, just in case any water managed to weep through between the edge and the strip (capillary etc).

That was about 6 months ago - its used 4 times a day and doesn't weep, leak or creak!!! LOL!

I bought an internal fixed shower form screwfix too - that was cheap as chips and although it doesn't have a thermo its a solid and works perfectly, and looks exactly like the £200+ ones that are marketed around.

what a great site.

please god someoone help me with my typo.....

Info: I have fitted a white plastic shower side panels which come in section and easy to fix then seal the bottom with sealant.All I do is wipe it clean! no more black mould or loose tiles etc..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back