mira event xs thermostatic - wiring question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had presumed the instructions below meant that my power shower (no heater - integrated pump) must be fitted to the consumer unit or a separate shower unit attached directly to the cu.

The mains supply must be 230–240 V at 50 Hz connected to the appliance
via a double pole switched 3 Amp fused connection unit (not supplied) with a minimum 3 mm contact separation gap in each pole.

The minimum cable size (cross-sectional area) required is 1mm2 under normal conditions of installation.
A 30 mA residual current device (RCD) must be fitted. This may be part of the consumer unit or a separate unit.

However, I found this review and started wondering. Is it really necessary to wire to the cu as the power to the pump is relatively low? Remember there is no heater in this unit...

In terms of the electrical connection, due to the fact that this unit operates at 150 watts on a 3 amp fuse, I took a switched RCD spur off the lighting circuit - perfectly acceptable for this sort of current.

Sponsored Links
so the question is...

can i wire it to an rcb spur from the lighting circuit?

Not good practice to spur from lighting circuit from a loading point of view and it is unusual for lights to be on a 30 mA RCD (if you are looking to not rely on a local RCD)
It is however ok to spur off a socket outlet circuit either utilising the circuit 30mA RCD (if hopefully fitted) or if not a 30mA RCD FCU.
This work is notifiable to your LABC if you are in England or Wales.I think this is correct even if the pump is fitted in an adjacent airing cupboard or the like.

Thanks ricicle.

I have channelled 10mm wiring down to the cu - ready for a spark to connect a shower unit to the cu for me, so will probably go for that option.

How much should I expect to pay for the whole job - Connect rccb shower unit to cu and connect shower to rccb shower unit next to the cu?

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Cost cannot be estimated on here.
So which one are you having or have you got, a power shower or an electric shower :confused:

ricicle said:
Cost cannot be estimated on here.
So which one are you having or have you got, a power shower or an electric shower :confused:

It's the title of the post - a mira event xs thermostatic power shower. It has an integrated pump and doesn't heat the water.

But you said you've ran a 10mm² cable down to the CU for a sparky to connect up.That's a bit OTT for a 150W load :confused:

ricicle said:
But you said you've ran a 10mm² cable down to the CU for a sparky to connect up.That's a bit OTT for a 150W load :confused:

I've realised that now - I was researching on the web but didn't realise they referred to 'electric showers' rather than the power shower I've got!

What do I do next? Remove the cabling? It's not plastered over yet.

S**t! What a waste of time and money!

might as well leave it in now.. you never know when you might want to fit an electric shower instead..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back