Misted double Glazed Units

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have three double glazed units that have started to mist up inside the unit. There are a number of companies locally (Reading area) who can either supply and fit or supply only the replacement units rather than replace the whole window.

My question is, what's involved in removing the old units and replacing them with the new ones. Would I need any special tools and materials in addition to the units themselves? Is it a DIY job, I am a competent DIYer.

Also does have anyone have a recommendation for a supplier of these units (Reading area).

Many Thanks
Steve

Sponsored Links
If by beads you mean the rubber "seal" then they are on the inside i.e the seal that looks like it might come out relatively easily (lifting in a couple of corners).

Forgive me prob should of asked this first:-

1. are the windows UPVC?

2. If so when you view the windows from inside and outside, on one side the window will be a continous form and on the other their will be a separate section which clips into the window profile.

Sponsored Links
Secure enough.... at the end of the day, if someone really wanted to get in they would break the window.
New windows are primarily internally glazed
Anyway, it sounds as if the rubber gasket on the inside is almost perished from your earlier post and as this would need to be removed to get the unit out you may be left in a mess.
The method for replacing the unit would be:-
-remove the internal wedge gasket
-the external beads should now be easier to remove with the use of a pallet knife or simular
-the unit may now be loose so be careful!
-Measure unit and order replacement (also measure unit thickness)
-replace in reverse.

Hope this helps

Many thanks for your help, gives me the confidence to go ahead and do the job myself :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back