Mitre Cut for Baseboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am putting a baseboard on my stairs. I have one piece that runs at the same angle as the stairs and another that come straight up from the floor. The two pieces meet at a corner. I need to make the cut for that angle. The piece that runs along the angle of the stairs I have cut at a 45 degree angle on my mitre saw. I cut it flat agains the fence and the saw is not compound. Now I need to make a cut on the other piece that will match. Of course I can't get the cuts to match and want to know if any one can help. I can't cut the pieces running along the stairs again cause it is cut to length needed. I just need to come up with the correct cut for the other piece. Please help!!!!! My wife is getting frustrated with me!!!

Sponsored Links
You need to find the angle the stairs are to the floor then halve the angle.
This is unlikely to be 45°.
For anyone who replies to this a 'baseboard' is what Americans call a skirting board.

It will help you to make a template from cardboard and then transfer the angle to the timber.

Put a ruler on top of floor or stair string and lightly pencil mark a short line on the wall with both angle then put the ruler from the lower point angle at the point to where the 2 pencil mark meet and that is the angle you want for both side. Either use a sliding bevel or template then rub off the pencil mark.

Sponsored Links
intresting this on

if i read this correctly it wont directlly work as the skirting
cut at an angle coming down the stairs will be greater than
the horizontal piece[quote at a corner]
so unless the skirting exactly meets the angle at the right point
youll either have to introduce a level piece on the slope or a
slopping bit on the level could be wrong though :rolleyes:

big all

untitled.GIF

If one side is greater than the other, then the angle on the stairs side will be lower.

yeh but he said at a corner so your going allong up and sidways

compound mitre on two angle or have i missred something

it reads to me at the bottom of the stairs it goes round a corner
where the stairs meet the floor :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :?: :?:

jdw34 said:
Hello,

I have one piece that runs at the same angle as the stairs and another that come straight up from the floor. The two pieces meet at a corner.

this bit about the corner

big all

jdw34 said:
I am putting a baseboard on my stairs.
I have read it a few time and still not quite sure. The way I'm reading it, is the skirting on top of the stairs string to carry on over the floorboards ????

jdw34 said "I am putting a baseboard on my stairs" and not to the stairs :confused:

If the baseboard is coming off the stairs string then it should 've been cut at 90 degree

The problem with forum, we can all read it a difference way, perhaps jdw34 can do a rough drawing.

heeelllooo masona

probbably just me so dont worry about it :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
could be a translation issue
we will find out in the fullness of time :D :D :D ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back