mitre cuts on crown moulding WITHOUT a compound saw

wp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I do have a mitre saw, but not compound...

any advice?

also how to measure a mitre cut for chair rail thats not a std 90 degree angle?

Thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
You can't make miter cuts on your miter saw? What kind of saw is it and how big is the piece your cutting? ... Also,what do you mean by measuring for chair rail that's not 90 degrees? You can't get the tape in the corner?

thanks mantus.

It is not a compund mitre saw and is also not too big. I am assuming becuase the crown is installed on a angle itself, I cant just lay the moulding on the saw flat down or against the fence and cut it at a 45. The saw cuts nearly all of a 1x6 laying flat in one pass.

The other deal is I have wall corners that are not std. 90 degrees. They are more like 135 (I have not measuered yet). Do I just measure the angle and divide by 2 to get my cuts?

Sounds like simple questions I hope, but this is my first crown moulding project and also dealing with chair rail.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hi wp,
You'll need to put the cornice upside down on the mitre saw.
The mitre saw fence is likely to be too low so you will need to fit a higher fence (bit of plywwod). Then you clamp a piece of wood to the base of the saw table at the same distance the cornise will be from the wall.
This will ensure that when the 45° cuts are made they will match up correctly.
It sounds more difficult than it is. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back