mitre or not to mitre

spx

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys I recenlty installed a new kitchen and everything is in apart from the work top. I need to join two 3m lenghts there are no corners it's just a straight kitchen.

I was going to hire the gig and router for the weekend but I was wondering as it's a straight join do i cut the worktops straight os adopt the corner principle of 45 deg then straight?

Sponsored Links
All you need for an end to end joint, is a square striaght edge, I always use connecting bolts to pull them tight. I don't know if it's worth hiring the jig & router, it really depends on your tool kit, if you have the means to trim ends as required and form the recesses for the bolts, if you do decide to use them.

cheers fitter - I have a small 900w router would that do the job worktop is 40mm, if so any idea of the bit required?

Your router proberly has a 1/4 inch collet, I do not think you will get a cutter the length you require, using it may give more problems than it solves.

If you have or can borrow a circular saw used with a striaght edge and clamps, will do a pretty good job.

Let me know what method you decide on and I'll walk you through it.

Sponsored Links
Hi fitter sorry could reply earlier had to pick up the kids. I have a circlular saw but when i've used it in the past it gives quite a rough cut - would it not splinter the laminate?

spx.. You really do need a sharp blade and a saw that's in good condition to avoid chipping.

So lets assume you have not got any of the right tools.

You mentioned hiring a jig and router which now seems one course of action, the problem with that is they are designed to cut a mitred joint and you want a straight joint, you can get around this by using a 75mm spacer between the location pegs and the edge of the worktop and it gives the bonus of being able to cut the bolt recesses. If you go for this do not forget you need 2 decent clamps.

Second option get yourself a circular saw, you can pick them up fairly cheap, problem is supplied blade may not be up to much. Still leaves the problem of the bolt recesses, which you can sort out (ish)with your router.

Third option get a bigger router, saw one in B&Q yesterday, £40 plus a cutter at £17. It would be a good tool to have in your kit anyway.

Make enquiries about getting a cutter for your router, please do not take my word that they are not available but as a word of caution holding a large cutter on a small shank seems a bit iffy to me.

I'm affaid it's the old story the right tools for the job, I did exactly what you want to do last Monday, I obviously have the right tools took less than 10 minutes.

spx.. I think I have come up with a cheap solution to your project.

You have a circular saw but it has given you a chipped finish. You did cut it face down I hope.

Somewhere along the way you will have to cut your tops to length, so why not get a new blade? Bosch do a decent blade for well under £20 (71/4in).

Try and position the joint so that you can get to it from the underside. Plenty of silicon on the two faces, make a couple of wedges and knock them into one of the ends to force the joint together, use a clamp on the overhang at the front. From the underside put a couple of plates to hold them in position, once the silicon is dry take the wedges out.

I know this works, I have used this method myself more than once.
If you do it this way, let me know how you got on.

Hi fitter, worktop is in and looks the buisness, if I knew how to put pictures on I'd show you. Used you advice went out bought a decent router.

Marked edges with straight edge, screwed straight batron to under side of worktop, two straight edges no jig required.

Thanks fella.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back