mixing cable sizes electric shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
shower is a 8.5kw replaceing a 10.5kw, existing cable is 10mm, however the cable from the switch to shower unit has been damaged, as this section of cable is easily accessed I am tempted to run 6mm from the switch to shower to enable easy terminating, would this be hazardous given that the cable from fuse to switch would remain 10mm therefore mixing the cables.

Sponsored Links
shaw7380 said:
shower is a 8.5kw replaceing a 10.5kw,
IMHO you will bitterly regret that downsizing...

existing cable is 10mm, however the cable from the switch to shower unit has been damaged, as this section of cable is easily accessed I am tempted to run 6mm from the switch to shower to enable easy terminating, would this be hazardous given that the cable from fuse to switch would remain 10mm therefore mixing the cables.
The fact that you ask shows that you understand enough about cable protection to know the answer to that, surely?

Thank you for your reply ban all sheds.

My quess would be that if 6mm cable is sufficient for an 8.5kw unit and given that the cable does not determine the load then it would be okay providing the secondary cable i.e. 10mm is greater rather than less.

But I,m looking for confirmation of that.

I agree with regards to the downsize of shower, but I am not paying for or using the shower and the third party has been advised not to change but has been given a boxed 8.5kw and sees it as a bargain

shaw7380 said:
My quess would be that if 6mm cable is sufficient for an 8.5kw unit and given that the cable does not determine the load then it would be okay providing the secondary cable i.e. 10mm is greater rather than less.
1) 6mm² is borderline for 8.5kW
2) If you use 6mm² you will have to also replace the breaker in the CU since that will have been sized for a 10.5kW load and a 10mm² cable, i.e. the breaker will be too big to provide overload protection for a 6mm² cable.
3) There is always a risk that someone in the future will replace the MCB with a larger one based on what cable size they see at the CU.

I agree with regards to the downsize of shower, but I am not paying for or using the shower and the third party has been advised not to change but has been given a boxed 8.5kw and sees it as a bargain
<shrug>

Also, are you aware of Part P of the Building Regulations which make this work notifiable? As you are clearly not a qualified electrician registered with one of the Competent Person's schemes, you have to notify the owner's council Building Control dept in advance.

Sponsored Links
thanks again for your contribution ban all sheds,

yes I am aware of part P, however this regulation is not applicable in scotland though I accept that it should be given consideration. sounds like it would be better all round to stick with the 10mm...cheers

Replacing a damaged cable is not notifiable. Is replacing a damaged shower?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back