LondonRay said:In your standard dwelling any fire serious/developed enough to knock out the lighting circuits is almost certainly going to have created so much smoke/heat that lighting an escape route out of your own house will be the least of your worries. No ?
Having a point of reference that you can see, even a lamp dimly visible through the smoke, may help to re-orientate you as to which way to go in the evacuation.
I've actually seen a report of where faulty wiring on the emergency lighting caused the fire... I think the word is irony
Yes, seen similar, low voltage therefore high current wiring, the best way to create a fire hazard.
That is why a lamp with built in battery that powers up the light on mains failure is my idea of best practise.