Mobile phones on petrol forecourts

Sponsored Links
sure i saw recently myth busters and they made an explosion happen with mobile phone near petrol pump, so maybe not safe

Why have you decided to post that statement now?

They are perfectly safe in terms of the regulations regarding RF field strengths* in the vincinity of petrol stations and quarries ( explosives ).

However, they cannot be used because its prohibited by law which was put in place when mobile phones were 10 watt installations fitted in car boots.

Tony

* I cannot accurately remember the value but think that it may be 25 volts/metre

Sponsored Links
I heard that the reason they aren't allowed now, is that the retailers are worried about dozy drivers being so interested in their conversation that they don't pay attention to operating the pump safely.

Bit like when they're driving.

I suspect that part of the real reason is that there may be EMC issues regarding the counting equipment, which means that someone may get free petrol. The idea of an 'invisible spark' igniting petrol vapour has always been a load of old nonsense in my view (think about the danger you'd be in from a dodgy distributor cap).

And as for phones in planes............ If there was even the slightest possibility that someone could turn their phone on and make the plane crash, you wouldn't be allowed one within about ten miles of an airport.

I asked this on my regular fire training at my company and they quoted " If you drop the mobile phone and the battery is disconnected from the phone which could cause a spark hitting the ground therefore ignite the petrol vapour around the car area."

fireman22 said:
sure i saw recently myth busters and they made an explosion happen with mobile phone near petrol pump, so maybe not safe
that was static from gettin in/out car IIRC. the phone did absolutly nothin

masona said:
If you drop the mobile phone and the battery is disconnected from the phone which could cause a spark hitting the ground therefore ignite the petrol vapour around the car area."

that one got busted too

was in sainsburys the other day paying for fuel and the cashier called her colleague over cos the system was going haywire, they couldnt figure it out and looked at the pump where the problem was and there was a woman on her phone filling up.
Now they didnt know she was on the phone until they looked across..
must be some link there...

btw in response to the myth buster programme.. i saw another one and they couldnt get it to blow up.. even with ten phones and caravan full of vapour.... now guess the programme!! :?: :?:

dabaldie said:
was in sainsburys the other day paying for fuel and the cashier called her colleague over cos the system was going haywire, they couldnt figure it out and looked at the pump where the problem was and there was a woman on her phone filling up.
Now they didnt know she was on the phone until they looked across..
must be some link there...

btw in response to the myth buster programme.. i saw another one and they couldnt get it to blow up.. even with ten phones and caravan full of vapour.... now guess the programme!! :?: :?:

Blue peter on al-jazeerah TV :LOL:

dabaldie said:

brainiac. they only got it to light after jumpin round in nylon clothin to create a spark

dabaldie said:
the clue is in the use of a :D :eek: caravan....

Ah, the holiday programme. Always wondered why Judith Chalmers looked so frazzled.

Sponsored Links
Back