Mondeo emission problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First, thanks to Davieboy for his advice on steering rack leaks - Lucas seems to be working where a Slick product seemed to make the problem worse.

My current problem is that I had a new (but cheap) cat fitted to my 93 Mondeo 2 litre two years ago. Last year it failed the MoT on emissions (at a council test station), despite new plugs, filters etc, and only got through after the Ford main dealer put Forte through it (for £60).

This year it has again failed on emissions, despite a fairly fast ten mile run immediately beforehand. Although it is used every day for short runs it is also used for frequent long runs. And I have been putting REDEX in the fuel regularly over the last tweleve months.

I would be tempted to try a new lambda sensor but have been quoted £90 + VAT! Does anyone have any ideas please?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Have you had any diagnostics carried out?

Might be able to pick up a fault. The worst thing you can do is go bolting things on willy nilly as it'll turn out pretty expensive.

My experience with Mondeo's was in the late 90's working at a Ford Dealership. O2 (lamda) sensors were quite popular as were EEC IV modules.
How is the car fuel wise, does it seem to use alot? if so it's overfuelling for what ever reason.eg: MAF or Map sensors, could be a multitude of things.

Be worth getting a diagnostic done

cheers

CJ

Sponsored Links
Back