Monobloc Kitchen Taps and Flexible Tap Tails

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone

This looks like a useful place. I'm always doing DIY, but the plumbing side of my DIY never goes right first time :cry:

I bought these taps http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6035712351&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

They came with flexible tap tails, bit they screw in two and a half inches up inside the base of the taps. So this mean I cannot get a spanner at them to tigthen them. I tried to tighten them by turning them by hand but they have just twisted and now look ruined.

How on earth are you supposed to tighten these things so they do not leak when connected to mains pressure?

Are solid tap tails needed? If so I can't find any anywhere on the internet.

Thanks

Martin

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Podwiin said:
How on earth are you supposed to tighten these things so they do not leak when connected to mains pressure?
With a box spanner, presumably.

Podwiin said:
Are solid tap tails needed? If so I can't find any anywhere on the internet.
Have you contacted the tap manufacturer?

A box spanner wouldn't work because there is a collar which is slightly bigger than the nut, and also once on and tightened how would you get the box spanner off the tail, since the nut to connect to the mains is larger.

Yep, contacted the seller via email and waiting for a reply.

Is it possible to buy solid tap tails?

Podwiin said:
A box spanner wouldn't work because there is a collar which is slightly bigger than the nut, and also once on and tightened how would you get the box spanner off the tail, since the nut to connect to the mains is larger.
Two excellent points, illustrating how poorly thought through my answer was. Sorry for that.

Podwiin said:
Yep, contacted the seller via email and waiting for a reply.
I suspect (see below) that if you have the wrong tails then you're b*ggered. Since you appear to have bought them on eBay, it's possible that the person b*ggering you is the eBay seller - they're not all scrupulous people :eek:

When I suggested contacting the tap manufacturer, I actually meant contacting the tap manufacturer, rather than the seller.

Podwiin said:
Is it possible to buy solid tap tails?
Hmm. Reading your first post again, and more carefully this time :)oops:), I see that the base of the tap is recessed. Most monoblocs aren't so deeply recessed, but I seem to remember fitting one where the end of the tails were 'special', in having a long stand-off that placed the hexagon a long way from the threaded and 'O' ringed end, thus allowing easy access for a spanner. I suspect that the seller has not supplied the correct tails with the tap (see above).

I hope the tap manufacturer is able to supply replacements. In the meantime, to answer your question, although I've never had the need to go looking for after-market solid tap tails, but after a brief Google search I notice that this pair of flexible tails of tails has a longish standoff - if you ask at local stockists you might find the same kind of product.

Sponsored Links
Hi

Thanks for your reply.

The Taps came in an unmarked box, and there isn't any kind of manufacturer marking on anything. There is small booklet with diagrams of fitting different taps, mostly bathroom taps which is of no help what so ever. That booklet just has Contemporary Living UK Ltd on it.

I bought it from these people http://stores.ebay.co.uk/CONTEMPORARYLIVINGUK/

They aren't too far away from me and do not seem to have a bad reputation. Guess I'll just have to wait for Monday morning to see if they'll help. I'm gald I haven't left feedback yet.

I saw those tails on screwfix also and don't think they'll be an improvement.

Cheers

Martin

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Podwiin said:
The Taps came in an unmarked box, and there isn't any kind of manufacturer marking on anything. There is small booklet with diagrams of fitting different taps, mostly bathroom taps which is of no help what so ever. That booklet just has Contemporary Living UK Ltd on it.

I bought it from these people http://stores.ebay.co.uk/CONTEMPORARYLIVINGUK/[/QUOTE]
Hm. I see your problem. Hopefully tomorrow will bring good news.

Podwiin said:
I saw those tails on screwfix also and don't think they'll be an improvement.
You may have taken me literally - I was just indicating that there are tails out there and, hopefully, ones with longer standoffs will be available.

If I come across any I'll let you know.

The original tails are probably shot now. You can get new ones. As a suggestion to tighten them- you know those basin wrenches plumbers use? Get a cheap open-ended spanner, get it redhot just below the jaws, then bend thru 90 degrees. you should be able to turn it using an adjustable on the other end.

Softus said:
If I come across any I'll let you know.
Thanks

vinniejones said:
Get a cheap open-ended spanner, get it redhot just below the jaws, then bend thru 90 degrees. you should be able to turn it using an adjustable on the other end.
That sounds a good idea and could work when fixing the first pipe on, but then I think there may not be enough room to tighten the second tail.

cowboyplumber said:
just hand tighten the tails, they'll seal fine on the o-rings
Thats what I thought, but they just dribble when the water is truned on. I have tried lubricating them with Boss White, then grease, then 3-in-1 oil. As you can see from the pictures they are now twisted beyond use. The black insulation tape was put on when the tails were screwed in, and hence shows how far they have to go up into the base of the taps. Its about 3 inches!
taps.jpg

vinniejones said:
Get a cheap open-ended spanner, get it redhot just below the jaws, then bend thru 90 degrees. you should be able to turn it using an adjustable on the other end.
That sounds a good idea, but I think it's unworkable. Have you done this before vj?

cowboyplumber said:
just hand tighten the tails, they'll seal fine on the o-rings
This is a ludicrous impractical suggestion. Why is your username "cowboyplumber"?

Judging by the image that you've posted, the tails are utterly wrong for this particular tap.

Sometimes its good to know I'm just not being totally stupid, and its not my fault I can't achieve something like fitting some new taps.

Thanks for your input :)

I've never had to bend a spanner to 90, but I had a tricky job where I had to bend one to 45 and it worked great. Hand tight I wouldn't risk, but they only need a nip. Overall tho, I'd advise cut your losses, you've been shafted and buy a tap that's properly designed. BES and Screwfix are reasonable.

Gave them a bell after receiving no reply to my email at 11am, and told to call back at 2pm, when the chap who knows about taps comes in.

Great!

Called back at 2pm, the one chap who can help still isn't in. I was told he'll be in at 2:15 and will call me.

At 15:40 I phoned for a 3rd time after receiving no call. The response is the chap's car has broken down and he will call me in the next few minutes when he gets in.

I'm getting a little annoyed now to put it politely and I will file a complaint with PayPal if I haven't heard by the close of business today, as the goods are not fit for purpose and they aren't doing a good job of trying to sort the issue.

To have no taps in the kitchen is really P!$$!#@ ME OFF! :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back