Monthly Salary For A Domestic Electrician

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I appreciate that this subject can be a little taboo for some but I am trying to ascertain what kind of money self employed domestic electricians are bringing home on a weekly basis.

I know this is quite a personal question for some and the answers (if any) will vary depending on workload, overheads etc

I would appreciate a steer as I am considering my options at present, owing to the fact I am in my second year of C&G 2330, some way to go yet before full qualification! but I am just looking to the future.

Sponsored Links
I bring around the same as I earned with another firm, but I am not working 65 hours per week for it. Things vary at the start - feast or famine, but after you establish a reputation things kick in and get busy.

The benefits are that you are your own boss, you can tell someone to get lost (politely) if you feel like it.

No chance you'll get a straight answer for several reasons.

It depends on:

Whereabouts in the country you live
How hard you want to work
How skilled you are in selling yourself to prospective customers
How hard you work to build regular business/referrals, whch is influenced by...
...whether or not you are any good at the job. And...
...your customer service attitude.
Your hourly rates and how many hours you actually charge out.
How accurate your quotes are.
How much holiday you take.
Your overheads - much higher in the first year.
And many more things like seasonal workload, economic up/downturns, sickness or injury, other personal circumstances, etc...

You need to be charging around £200 per day as a sole trader in order to stand a chance of earning a reasonable living. Say 4 days a week 40 weeks per year = £32,000 (and that would be really good in year one). Less around £10k p.a. for transport, insurance, tool replacement, membership of registration body, etc, etc.

In your first two years expect times to be quite lean unless you get lucky. After that it is very much up to you.

£10K a year for transport, tool replacement etc? You must be driving round in a Roller!!

SB :eek:

Sponsored Links
Well, did a little research into this around here. THings to remember.

1) I'm not a sparky, never will be.
2) I live in an expensive part of the SE (Not through hard work I assure you, just luck)
3) There is a huge amount of building going on around here.

A sparky told me, and you can take a bigger pinch of salt with it as you like, that he was getting around 60 - 70k. Nice amount of money, but you still wouldn't be able to buy a house around me for that kind of salary (again not that I'm industrious, clever, etc, just luck).

As dingbat said, there are loads of factors.

The hard working sparks on T5 get a basic of around 75K for a 35-40hr week. The very hard sparks on London Underground get around £1,200.00/week for starting at midnight (actual work 01:00-05:00 with all the safety checks) and finishing at 06:00.

Going self employed is not the golden ticket it's cracked up to be and you can earn more without the hag.

sparkybird said:
£10K a year for transport, tool replacement etc? You must be driving round in a Roller!!

SB :eek:

Try it on your own enterprise, SB. Factor in all the costs, such as depreciation, cost of any finance, what you spend on road fund licence, tyres, fuel, insurance, repairs, maintenance. Then add in the annual costs of PL/PI insurance, NIC/NAP/Elec/Bsi/Etc membership and notification. What about drill bits and screws, cable clips and all the other sundries that rarely get properly costed out? What's the replacement cost of all your tools and what's their average life? Work clothes, stationery, stamps, ink cartridges, certificates... stock you buy then never actually use (what's sitting in your shed right now?) Test equipment and calibration? Advertising? Training?

£10k is pretty cheap.

maybe it's coz I bought my vehicle on ebay...... But I take your point!

SB :D

I reckon its pretty much "the skys the limit" Do and honest job and provide a good service and I doubt you'll be short of work... work as many hours as you want and you'll not be short of money either (part of that is becuase you have less time to waste it on frivolous purchases though ;) )

Of course I haven't yet experience this first hand, but I've got it to come in a couple of years, I have atm got a nice part time weekend job that I can fit around college, pays reasonably compared to what my peers earn at the cinema (not masses more, but a touch), provides enough money for me considering I still live at home, the only downside is its 16miles away and fuel costs eat into things (I'm starting to make much more of an effort to drive in a style that maximises fuel eccomony though) so I won't need to leap into anything straight after leaving college

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back