More cost to come for some

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There is a significant risk that local authorities in England will fail to reduce the amount of biodegradable waste sent to landfill by enough for the UK to meet EU targets, according to a report by Parliament's spending watchdog. The Government intends to penalise local authorities who fail to make their share of the required reductions under Landfill Allowance Trading Scheme (LATS) - a scheme introduced by Government to help Local Authorities comply with meeting their obligations under the EU Landfill Directive.

There will be a problem with large scale composting too (at first thought a good method for diversion from landfill).... Been ok here so far but the rules are changing... The need for higher temperatures during the making to ensure minimising of disease transference. They banned the making of pig swill, I guess because the manufacturers could not be trusted ...
Anyway be ready to pay !
:D

Sponsored Links
The Government intends to penalise local authorities who fail to make their share of the required reductions under Landfill Allowance Trading Scheme (LATS)
ok, I'm missing something here it seems. I assume the local councils will be fined? in which case the money from the council goes right back into the government - the same government that the councils belong to - minus legal fees I'm sure, so really whats happening is the government are basically taking some of the councils funding back (the fine) then throwing some money in the bin (the legal costs)

Sorry I missed the second para:-
Source National Audit Office .. Hopefully sufficiently knowledgeable?

...The Government intends to penalise local authorities who fail to make their share of the required reductions under Landfill Allowance Trading Scheme (LATS) - a scheme introduced by Government to help Local Authorities comply with meeting their obligations under the EU Landfill Directive.
Failure to meet the national targets could also result in the EU issuing fines against the UK Government, which currently sends a higher proportion of municipal waste to landfill (75 per cent) than most other EU countries. These fines could also be later passed on to the local authorities in addition to the scheme penalties mentioned above.

Forget the monies taken in fines being specifically targeted on waste management, certainly no hypothecation expected from any normal Chancellor of Exchequer ... HMG fines the council they in turn up the council tax to cover the fine, council blames HMG..
EuroBoss fines HMG, HMG passes Eurofine to council, council increases local tax to recoup fine (plus inflation) .. Somehow as usual, we could be paying twice...
:(

Sponsored Links
Back