More on Roma folk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What about this then?

I believe this raises an interesting and important argument. These "asylum seekers" are coming from the Czech Republic. This is, of course, an EU member state.

Why are they claiming asylum? If this is because of a genuine need for asylum (perhaps state-funded violence in their own country) then the Czech Republic should be expelled from the EU, and they would no longer be entitled to the rights of an EU citizen. Hence we can tell them to p*ss off, not grant them entry etc.

If there is no reason for them to claim asylum, then they are not asylum seekers. Therefore they are trying to defraud the UK by lying about their reasons for entering the UK. And we can tell them to p*ss off, not grant them entry etc.

Either way, we can tell them to p*ss off, not grant them entry etc.

David Blunkett has redeemed himself.

Sponsored Links
Adam I don't understand this.

David Blunkett has redeemed himself.

The Gov have lost the case! (and the plot).

It is yet another example of the Government not wanting to take responsibility for agreements they have signed with the EU. Don't they read them and weigh up the pro's and con's first?

Surely it's time the Government was truthful with us about the true cost of our continued EU membership. I don't just mean financial, I mean the cost of the cultural change being foisted upon us.

We wouldn't have these problems if we stopped giving out houses, healthcare and benefits to people for doing nothing.

Isn't the point of assylum seeking, to escape persecution. Since the Czech Republic is now part of the EU, instead of these people fleeing the country (to over here), they should be complaining to the European court of Human Rights with their grievances. No need to seek asylum elsewhere, there are mechanisms in place to protect their rights where they are!

Of course, there's always the alternative, of learning a trade and then applying to this country for emigration. Ooo, wash my mouth out with soap and water, how racist of me, expecting foreigners to actually work for a living (as we all do). :eek:

TexMex said:
Since the Czech Republic is now part of the EU, instead of these people fleeing the country (to over here), they should be complaining to the European court of Human Rights with their grievances. No need to seek asylum elsewhere, there are mechanisms in place to protect their rights where they are!

Exactly! I would be interested to hear exactly what their grievances are, seeing as the Roma tradition as we know it originated in that part of the continent, surely they would encounter no more persecution in Czech than say, pagans in the UK?

If anywhere, they should try to get down to Spain or Portugal, living on the road would be far more pleasant in their warmer climes. In fact if you think about it, the UK (especially Scotland) must be a rubbish place to live for nomadic types.

I would think that in Spain, with so much more land and so fewer people, and so little of the land actually used for farming, Spain would be the best country in the EU for travellers and Gypsies. Plus Spain is more culturally segregated (I was going to say diverse, but it is beyond that) therefore people are likely to be more tolerant of their ways.

Sponsored Links
AdamW said:
If anywhere, they should try to get down to Spain or Portugal, living on the road would be far more pleasant in their warmer climes. In fact if you think about it, the UK (especially Scotland) must be a rubbish place to live for nomadic types.
It wouldn't be to do with our generous handout from DHSS would it ?

do you really think that these people want to leave their homes and family to come to a strange land were their treated with distrust and hatred, they must be really deperate.

Sad isn't it,

Have you also noticed it's mostly male that come over here or is it once they settled then bring the family over maybe ?

If we are considered to be acting illegally by denying these people entry to our country, How much more so are the Czechs by allowing them to be persecuted in the first place? We shouldn't allow the Czechs to "cherry pick" which parts of European law they want to use. Either they take the lot (including upholding human rights for ALL of their citizens), or they should keep right out. If they can't meet their obligations, as regards to human rights, why should we be expected to pick up the pieces.

If someone wants to lead an alternative way of life, based on itinerant work, I've nothing against that. I know there are bands of Gypsies, that follow routes around Europe, turning up at harvest time, in various places, others take their work with them (in the form of fairgrounds or circuses). But you have to be suspicious of these "New age Travellers" that just go from town to town, bringing nothing to the local community, other than their skills in Burglary, Theft, and deception.

In centuries past, Piracy was a way of life for some. Should we have allowed that to continue to preserve a "traditional way of life"? In this area, we have suffered frequently from these bands of marauders. We have no source of itinerant work in this area, and it is obvious, that the scum we have encountered, have no intention of doing anything to earn their keep. They just feel it is thier right to parasitise society, as it is their "way of life".

If they are gypsies, why don't they get given a "council caravan" to live in, while the rest of the population patiently waiting on the lists can have the houses.
If they turn up at harvest time why then don't they appear alongside trawlers out in the north Atlantic harvesting depleted cod stocks..........
more salt please and less of the vinegar.........

What a good idea, course they will be short of suitable sites. For starters I suggest Chequers or Balmoral, outside the Commons, the Lords or even at the front of Buck House. I am sure the piles of rotting s**te, the flytipping and general lawlessness will be quite acceptable.

Exactly! I would be interested to hear exactly what their grievances are, seeing as the Roma tradition as we know it originated in that part of the continent, surely they would encounter no more persecution in Czech than say, pagans in the UK?
I've just had a thought. If I change my religion to Paganism, would I be able to seek assylum in Monaco. I hear it's quite nice there. If no state housing is immediately available, I am quite prepared to be housed in a yacht in the harbour. Obviously I would expect a decent hand out from thier local economy, as their cost of living is quite outrageous. Does anybody know if I would be entitled to sign on to claim dole money out there?

Are they claiming asylum or just exercising their right to enter and work in a EU country? Not sure how this will be policed in the future or will it all just balance out in the end ie the czech republic will have to up wages if too many leave and the wage structure over here will be overloaded and probably not worth anyone else coming over.
Comments?

TexMex said:
I've just had a thought. If I change my religion to Paganism, would I be able to seek assylum in Monaco. I hear it's quite nice there. If no state housing is immediately available, I am quite prepared to be housed in a yacht in the harbour. Obviously I would expect a decent hand out from thier local economy, as their cost of living is quite outrageous. Does anybody know if I would be entitled to sign on to claim dole money out there?

Try that, and you my old cocker, would be on yer bike back here, possibly with yer rusty bullet hole kicked up to somewhere abouts the back of yer neck !! toots bladdy sweet. Percy Cution- you'd meet him alright !! ;)

Well, Monaco does have rich and poor. Watching the Monaco Grand Prix on TV one year they had shots of the locals, who watched the race from a hill, behind a chain-link fence! So you could no doubt get by out there without a fortune, although you would probably have to be a manual worker of some type, no scrounging there.

However, Monaco isn't part of the EU unfortunately, so we would have no European Human Rights there. Nothing to stop you living just on the border, in France. Although you would be packed off to Sangat quicker than you can say "Please put me on the train bound for London, and use soldiers to force the train staff to let me on without a ticket" :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back