mortice drills?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Seeing as its my 40th birthday soon my dad says "well then what do you want as a pressie" "a new garden gate please,3 to be exact"
I also asked for a drill attached to the stand (the sort with the lever on the side to lower/raise it) about £30-100.
as he will be doing alot of mortices for the gates can a mortice drill be attached to it? or will i have to buy a dedicated morticer as i don't think my routerer will give the 4" depth he will need?

any help will be appreciated please.

suppose i could just ask him for a nice pair of slippers :LOL:

Sponsored Links
A normal drill stand will not be any good, it's not robust enough.

Record used to make a great cast iron drill stand, capable of hold a powerful drill, which is what is needed for mortices, I do not know if it is still available, it was only £39.99.

Screwfix do a pillar drill for £49.99 and a mortice attachment for £19.99, I don't know how effective it will be, it looks too flimsy.

I bought a small morticing machine a few years ago, did my 2 garden gates and have not used it since. I found myself looking at projects just to use the machine, which is a bit pointless.

Sponsored Links
The chisel fits into a holder and is held in place with a screw going through the side, not sure what holds the holder to the machine.

It took me ages to get it set up and running, I just couldn't get the chisel at 90 deg. to the fence.

I have made several more gates since the two I mentioned but used biscuits instead, they continue to stand up well, modern glues are wonderful things.

fitter said:
Screwfix do a pillar drill for £49.99 and a mortice attachment for £19.99, I don't know how effective it will be, it looks too flimsy.

i can remember someone moaning about the usless nature
of the mortice attachment in the screwfix forum will see if
i can find it for you

big all

Thanks everyone for the advice,I thought it would be a good project to build 5-bar fences & gates as i've seen a few at £100+ for a 8 footer + hinges etc :confused:
i'll just have to weigh up the pros & cons.

I have just read your post and one thing which comes to mind, if you have a router can you not route from both sides of the material, using a 63mm depth bit to get the motice. If you are doing a through mortice that is

You would need to make a simple jig to ensure that all of the mortices were the same and yes you would need to chisel out the corners, or the cheats way is to chamfer the tenons that will fit into the mortices. If you cut the mortice with a large diameter bit and then use a smaller one round the edge, the amount of material to remove in the corners with a chisel will be fairly minimal.

big-all said:
I can remember someone moaning about the usless nature
of the mortice attachment in the screwfix forum will see if
i can find it for you

big all
Dead right on that Mortice Attachment big all.
Nice to see my posts relayed elsewhere. lmao
The worst bit of rubbish I ever tried.
The mortice attachment is here Click here and is identical to the one at MachineMart or many other places.
Whether you chisel the corners square on routed mortices or chamfer them with a saw and chisel or file is a matter of personal taste.
A mortice jig for a router with guide bush can be made in a few minutes. Jigs are the only thing I will ever use MDF for. Offcuts from the local woodyard of 6mm or 8mm mdf is cheap enough with some 2x1 edging and a slot cut to take the bush using the guide fence.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back