Moss on Roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a 3 bed semi and have alot of moss only on one side of our roof. It is constantly going into the gutter and blocking it and falling onto the decking.

Is there a way to clean it off and treat the roof so it doesn't grow back. Do people do this as I don't fancy getting on the roof!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I have a simular problem. Yours must be a north facing roof, little or no sun. I did read an earlier post on here the other day that suggested laying a piece of solid copper wire at the highest point.

Apparantly when it rains, the copper produces copper sulfate or something along those lines that kills the moss :eek:

Look through a few earlier posts on here and im sure you will find it.. Failing the copper wire trick, it a case of spraying your roof once a year with some type or herbicide..

Sorry cant be more helpful

Ah here you go... Knew i had seen it somewhere here is the link to an earlier post

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=42569

Mick

Sponsored Links
Anglian windows do a national roof cleaning service, may be worth a quote. We do midlands area only , shame really as we can beat any quote.

Good luck!

Mw Roofline said:
Anglian windows do a national roof cleaning service, may be worth a quote. We do midlands area only , shame really as we can beat any quote.

Good luck!

how much (roughly) would you charge for a mid size 3 bed semi just so I would have an idea when I ring someone

thanks

That sounds fair....is it just a pressure clean .or treatment, or what....just interested as I`m down South

Nige F said:
That sounds fair....is it just a pressure clean .or treatment, or what....just interested as I`m down South

Its a pressure clean Nige with a light coating of sealant afterwards.

when you say pressure clean will that disturb the roof tiles?

Thanks

steveb1964 said:
when you say pressure clean will that disturb the roof tiles?

Thanks

As long as you aim the jet in a downwards motion spraying down the roof, the tiles dont move. :)

Moss and lichen can not be killed, only surpressed by killing the current growth but this does not kill sporse.
A good roof cleaner will charge £4.50 per meter and include re-pointing the ridge tiles and replacing broken tiles (up to a given number). Treatment can then take place followed if you wish by a coloured sealant. There are a lot of roof coaters around, some crazy money others reasonable, but the applicators have to be good.
£18-25 a meter is about right for the whole job and is not really a DIY job.

Moss and lichen can not be killed, only surpressed by killing the current growth but this does not kill sporse.
A good roof cleaner will charge £4.50 per meter and include re-pointing the ridge tiles and replacing broken tiles (up to a given number). Treatment can then take place followed if you wish by a coloured sealant. There are a lot of roof coaters around, some crazy money others reasonable, but the applicators have to be good.
£18-25 a meter is about right for the whole job and is not really a DIY job.

What copper wire do i use?
2.5 earthing wire or maybe lighting conducter might lay better.
Has anyone done this and did it work,
This sounds more permanant then treating with moss killer every couple of years,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back