Moss on Roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have just moved house and there is a fair bit of moss on the roof tiles

I assume I should get this removed?

If so, is it a question of paying a roofer to "scrape" the moss off or is there a spray or anything that would kill the moss and let it drop off?

thanks

Sponsored Links
in what way is the moss bothering you?

i do believe its growth can be controlled with copper wire strung across at the ridge.

Hi there
I suppose being honest it doesn't bother me at all-I just "imagined" that it may not be doing the roof any good

I'm a bit clueless about these things-which is why this site is so good

Are you saying I should just leave well alone?

Sponsored Links
Look@it hard+long .....then walk away laughing.......cuz that`s what any itinerant "roofer" will do ....after lifting £££££out your wallet :LOL: :LOL: People who rid their roofs of moss are the same as those who pick up 1p.`s in the street.......and yes, I regularly chuck them down for them :LOL: :evil: :LOL:

I might be wrong here and get shot down in flames, but, I believe your roof tiles may be/contain aspestos as moss will tends to grow only on organic materials.

philipdayton said:
I might be wrong here and get shot down in flames, but, I believe your roof tiles may be/contain aspestos as moss will tends to grow only on organic materials.

Since when was asbestos organic?

I have to say we removed moss from our roof on the advice of a roofer, but it was old hand made tiles and apparently having moss on them keeps them damp which can lead to cracking during frosty weather. I'm not sure how it applies to newer tiles but guess the same may apply.

joe-90 said:
philipdayton said:

Since when was asbestos organic?

Well, I guess that all depends on your belief system.... Could be as early as 4004 BCE or 300 million years ago!

Asbestos
"Asbestos is a naturally occurring fibrous silicate mineral which has been used in a variety of useful products for hundreds of years since Roman times. It is found and mined throughout the world including Africa, Australia, Canada, Russia, the United States of America and China"

Mineral = Organic, ie. not man made :rolleyes:

so why was it then when i was working a t cape universal at least twice a day a cement truck turned up and dumped its load?

thats at tanker full of cement unmixed (like you get in a bag of cement)

breezer said:
so why was it then when i was working a t cape universal at least twice a day a cement truck turned up and dumped its load?

thats at tanker full of cement unmixed (like you get in a bag of cement)

Probably the same reason as if you worked at Cadbury's and several times a day a milk truck turned up and dumped its load, (you know the white stuff like you get in a bottle...) :LOL:
It wouldn't mean there was no cocoa in the chocolate now would it? ;)

al4x said:
I have to say we removed moss from our roof on the advice of a roofer, but it was old hand made tiles and apparently having moss on them keeps them damp which can lead to cracking during frosty weather. I'm not sure how it applies to newer tiles but guess the same may apply.
some clay tiles can de-laminate - usually the cheaper machine made..but depends on the clay ,as for concrete ones of any size.....they look ridiculous after the moss.and most of the colouring have been scraped off ..........usually by a sad old git with now`t better to do in retirement :LOL: would`ve made a good episode for Vic. Meldrew

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back