Most cost-effective way to patch render?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So the builder is saying that the most cost effective route for just repaiting render is to use a tyrolean finish with a couple other layers. When I questioned if it would mix in with the old render he said the last layer would be spread over all the render, both old and new.

Isn't it cheaper to just get a decorater to paint over the old and new render to get it to match after patching? Are they just trying to up the quote with adding work that's a lot easier to do than it looks? (just 1 final layer) I clearly have no idea how any of this works, but help appreciated thyre coming tomorrow to give a quote.

Also are these cracks even bad enough to have water pentrating them? I defo have water coming through cos my kitchen is on the other side and has weeds growing from under the cupboards atm. However there is damage to the floor outside so water is defo cominng through there. Perhaps water is coming through the cracks AND the floor? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20211231_134848.jpg
    IMG_20211231_134848.jpg
    533.8 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_20220321_153857.jpg
    IMG_20220321_153857.jpg
    408.5 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_20220321_153921.jpg
    IMG_20220321_153921.jpg
    451.1 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_20220321_154021.jpg
    IMG_20220321_154021.jpg
    671.2 KB · Views: 85
Sponsored Links
I guess im asking a stupid question heh, but please humour me, am feeling pretty thick today!

WHats the point of another layer of render over the old, will it increase the old ones lifespan? Becasue I dont know whether this is fallacious.

Last edited:
ok some cursory googling gives mixed results regarding applying another layer oif new to old rendering. if the old render is good in most places, whats the point of a new layer? So Im not being stupid, seems a plausible option at least to just paint and dcorate over the new/old rendering at finish.

You wont be able t
Isn't it cheaper to just get a decorater to paint over the old and new render to get it to match after patching?
you will not be able to match the patchwork with paint you will still see it, it seems like the builder wants to get a uniform finish by going over the whole lot with the last pass of terylene, tbh that render looks like its seen better days if it was my house i would have the whole lot off and start again

Sponsored Links
You wont be able t
you will not be able to match the patchwork with paint you will still see it, it seems like the builder wants to get a uniform finish by going over the whole lot with the last pass of terylene, tbh that render looks like its seen better days if it was my house i would have the whole lot off and start again

Definitely Steve, start again.

You wont be able t

Ok, I'm getting a lot of contradictory advice. If we paint over both the patchwork and the original render, it should surely be indistinguishable though?

I just checked the other thread and it was you, yourself who said it looked in good nick half way down page 2. Maybe you meant the front of the house thats not shown here.

https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/do-all-victorian-properties-need-lime-render.584566/page-2

Last edited:
What you need to understand is that it's extremely difficult to match new to existing render - not only the joins but the texture - as can be seen by previous repairs to yours. A Tyrolean is good at disguising this. A skilled (and no doubt expensive) decorator might be able to disguise the repairs but it would be time consuming and expensive.

The best job is back to brick and new render (and consider EWI), second would be a good quality repair and a thin top coat and third a good quality repair and a coat of paint - which should be fine in functional terms but not 100% on the looks front. I would suggest you get quotes for each and then make a decision. You also seem to have an issue with render going down to the ground and presumably bridging any dpc.

Ok, I'm getting a lot of contradictory advice. If we paint over both the patchwork and the original render, it should surely be indistinguishable though?

I just checked the other thread and it was you, yourself who said it looked in good nick half way down page 2. Maybe you meant the front of the house thats not shown here.

https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/do-all-victorian-properties-need-lime-render.584566/page-2
These photos are of the same building but they are different photos or you have added more photos showing the render in a different light we can clearly see how bad the render is from these new pics how was i supposed to see all those cracks from the other pics? Anyway in a patch job you will see different textures in the render no matter how much paint you put on it

These photos are of the same building but they are different photos or you have added more photos showing the render in a different light we can clearly see how bad the render is from these new pics how was i supposed to see all those cracks from the other pics? Anyway in a patch job you will see different textures in the render no matter how much paint you put on it
Saying that i know of a building in portsmouth its a converted block of flats and it was owned by an old friend of mine and it had just as may cracks on it as your house i walked past one day well over 10 years ago and they was putting pebble dash over it i thought to myself "what the hell?" All these years later there is not one crack in it it amazes me every time i walk past it

You regularly see people hacking off old render. It takes them days sometimes with kangos. Don’t see the point. If it takes all that effort to get it off then there was nothing wrong with it in the first place.
You need to get a screwdriver and tap it in various places. if it sounds hollow then it needs to come off. if not get it cleaned and painted.
your man probably suggested tyrolean as it will make everything look uniform and go some way to matching the roughcast at the back.
my concern would be applying tyrolean over paint.

ok, I think its the side wall thats defo needing a complete replacement, but for these 2 patching is ok right?
1: https://postimg.cc/bd3PcTjq
2: https://us-noi.v-cdn.net/6031891/uploads/editor/r3/76zalhacc81y.jpg

for the last one he doesnt even think it needs patching! he wants to go over it with the final tyrolean layer doing naught else!

Fills the cracks. Paint the whole thing with weathershield paint.

Then address the leaking soilpipe and the slabs look too close to the wall depending on where the dpc level is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back