Mouldy Wooden Window Frames

ELP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mould has developed inside my wooden window frames and have an infestation of wood louse. The surveyor from my Housing Assocition blamed me not not controlling cendensation so they are refusing to change the frames

Sponsored Links
Also the frames are over 10 years old and some of the wood has become rotten. I was wandering if they are wrong or right in blaming condensation.

If they were wet on the inside, condensation is most likely. If they were wet and rotted from the outside only, most likely would would be lack of maintenance in painting and puttying. This would show itself in all the other windows on that side of the block.

Sponsored Links
Do you think they should be replaced by new frames/glass due to the age?

Age is not excessive, but if they are rotten they need replacing. It is sometimes possible to repair them. It may only be the opening sashes that need replacing. Woodlice only eat damp and rotting wood.

the windows are not sash, they are double glazed windows

Surely the housing environment is poor. If a tightly insulated ,modern house is expected not to have cndensation, where is the steam and vapour expected to go? Has it mechanical ventilation system- preferable heat recovery?
Ask the Housing Association to ask their architects about this, not you as a user. Get them to fit that.
This is pathetic. Windows used to last 60 years +.
Also they are probably using inferior materials in construction, tackle them on this too.
They always blame the user, but the designer has screwed it up

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back