Mounting a box flush to the wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am building a floating "shelf" but really its a box. I need it to mount flush to the wall as it is to go beneath a flat screen TV and house the DVD Player and media centre.

To help illustrate what I am trying to do I have drawn two diagrams.

Diagram 1:

WallwithTV.gif

A: Speakers: wall mounted or free standing on the floating shelf.
B: LCD TV
C: floating box which contains the DVD player and media centre (this needs to be flush to the wall).
D: The stairs under which the TV cables are hidden.
E: the cupboard under the stairs. There is a double socket in here which powers the TV and DVD player.

Diagram 2:

WallwithoutTV.gif

F: Hole where the TV cables disappear behind the wall.
G: Hole where the wires for the floating box disappear.

I need a way to mount the shelf flush to the wall. I can think of a few, but whether its the best is another thing.

Ultimately I would like to be able to flush mount the box and be able to lift it off its mounting i.e. if I came to decorate etc.

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice? I would be extremly grateful.

Kindest Regards

Chris

Sponsored Links
I would screw a long batten to the wall, then another batten about an inch wider to the front of that, with the top edge sticking up.
Add a batten to the underside of the top of your floating unit that hooks over the projecting one. The floating unit would then just drop into place.
You could plane a bit of a taper on the batterns so the unit pulls in snugly to the wall under it's own weight, but that would probably make it difficult to lift off again.

Or how about kitchen wall cabinet mountings?

The batten idea sounds like a plan. I'm not sure what a kitchen cabinet bracket looks like.

Is there a place on the web I could buy them? I just had a look on Screwfix and couldn't see anything?

Thanks for the help.

Chris

Why do you want the media centre & dvd on display.

Why not have them on a shelf inside the cupboard.

You will need to "extend" the IR sensors with an Infrared Extender.

This could be cheaper and should be better looking than a shelf.

And nothing to remove when you redecorate !!

Sponsored Links
I want to use a shelf instead of hiding everything away, because I would like them on show. The media centre will look the poodles privates and the DVD player matches the TV.

Also I have already made the shelf but wanted advice on how best to mount it flush to the wall.

Thanks for the replies

Chris

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back