Mounting box for thick plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya,

this will sound like a really stupid question to those in the know, but since I claim to know nothing about electrics I have to ask.

I'm putting a stud partition wall in my bedroom as part of a sound proofing exercise (it's that or throttle the neighbours' children/dog/wife), which is no problem. However there's a power socket on that wall which I'd like to keep access to.

I understand this isn't normally a problem, just put in a plastic mounting box like this and connect the socket back up. However the plasteboard is going to be double thickness, about 32mm, so I wouldn't be able to use the lugs to fasten it in place since they have a maximum of 15mm.

Is there an alternative I can use to fasten the box in place? I could potentially cut a larger hole in the back layer of board and only mount the box to the front board, but the more holes I cut the less effective the sound proofing.

Cheers for any guidance,
Si

Sponsored Links
Throttle the children/dog/wife. Couldnt you use a surface box 25mm instead of that one?

Get a deep socket dry lining box like you would for a shaver point. The lugs go further back. And use soundbloc plasterboard!

If by double thinkness you mean two layers. Simply trim the layer at the back to allow the lugs to grip the top layer only.

Sponsored Links
Hi si.....
Im employed by a sound proofing company to carry out their electrical work when they do as you have done.
Years ago they used double thickness of soundproof boards and to mount sockets/switch backbox`s i did as STEVESEY says and when i cut out the aperture for the box in question i then angled a drywall saw,only on the lug sides and bevelled the inner board off.

Hey guys,

thanks for all the comments, this place is always helpful.

I had a look around for some boxes which would fasten at the depth but failed, so I'll do what stevesey and festa suggested.

Thanks again,
Si

marshal tufflex do boxes that fit up to 26mm..

what size boards are you usig since 32mm sounds awfully thick for a doubld skin... should be about 24mm ( 2x12 ) or 36mm ( 2x18 )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back