Mounting boxes with side knockouts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I want to add a few sockets to a mains ring. Instead of feeding cable through the wall, behind the box and in through the base, I want to go for the simpler option of running the cable along the wall concealed with mini-trunking.

I have therefore purchased some 30mm mounting boxes that boast "Knockouts in sides and base for cable entry." (Screwfit product 16168).

Well, I can see the base knockouts, but not the side ones!

Perhaps you guys can help a DIY amateur like me - I was expecting obvious, scored out sections on all sides that would easily push out - just like the standard 3 sections in the middle of the base. But obviously it's not quite so simple as that! Could anyone explain, how I get cable holes in the side of the boxes.

Thanks very much to everyone who takes the time to read my post, and good luck with your own projects.

Kind Regards

Jon

Sponsored Links
look closer.

If you have same as picture (you mentioned), there are there

The sections of the sides are not scored on the show face, and some care is needed to break them out without damaging the appearance. Look for weakening anti-ribs oin the inside of the section to break out. (opposite of strengthening rigs)
hope that helps

I find a junior hacksaw a useful tool.

Better though to use proper trunking boxes and adapters....

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much for the replies - they are very helpful.

I'd be interested to find out more about the "proper trunking boxes and adapters" that ban-all-sheds mentions. Could anyone post me a link???

Cheers to all.

Jon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back