move socket down - regulations?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

I'm currently completely replastering a bedroom. I have 2 plug sockets that are at waist height and attached on top of the plaster with white plastic casing. I want to bury the cables and set the sockets back in to the wall when i replaster, and am also thinking about moving the sockets further down the wall. Are there any regulations which will prevent me from doing this myself? I don't see a problem as I'm not unscrewing the actual wires from the connectors in the sockets, but thought I should check.

Also, am I ok to bury the grey wire into the plaster or am I meant to use some sort of casing? - I'm planning to use 12.5mm plasterboard dot n dabbed onto wall (wall is internal brick - original plaster was directly on wall)

thanx :)

Sponsored Links
the 450mm height to bottom of sockets is only relevant for new builds. there is also no requirement to "cap" over the cable before plaster boarding. some people think its better to run cables in trunking to enable the possibility of a rewire in 25 years time. bondy.

The first thing to consider - are the cables long enough to drop down or will they need extending?

If you are going to flush them in, you will need to disconnect the facia to get the cable into the back box. Are you happy to do this?

It is acceptable to run the cable behind the plasterboard as long as the cable is within the normal zones

thanx for replies :)

Cables come from floor so I plan to push the extra length created under the floor boards.

Is disconnecting the facia just a case of flip power off then unscrew front, move and rescrew? or does it involve unscrewing wires?

Sponsored Links
By pushing them would they then rest on the ground or foul on a pipe?

don't think pipes will be in the way there... i don't really fancy trying to shorten the wire and reattach it... wire will go between floor or 1st floor room and ceiling of ground floor room... i thought it shouldn't be a problem?

thanx

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back