Moving 1 light switch out of 3 gang light switch (with pic)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I hope you can help me.

My 3 gang switch operates 2 lights in the living room ( 1 way switching) and a landing light (2 way switching). I am putting in a new wall so I need to move the switch that control the "lounge" as in the picture to the new wall and use a single dimmer switch. The other 2 switches will remain where they are although I would like to put them into a 2 gang switch.

Can anyone advise me if this is possible with the wiring in the pic and what I would need to do. I have access to the floorboards above to make the moving easy but the cables have got me completely stumped.

Landing switch has: Red in L1. Black in L2 and shared Red Common
New Hall has : Black in L1 and shared Red Common
Lounge has: Grey to L1 and shared Red Common (This is the switch I want to move)

Many thanks

Bernard

http://www.playamar.co.uk/socket.htm

Sponsored Links
Seems easy enough. Remove the COM link between hall and lounge. And remove that grey wire, which will go all the way up to the lounge light.

Then run a new twin and earth drop wire from the louge light to the new switch. Easy (providing there is a permenant live at the lounge light - check this).

If there is no permenant live at the lounge light, you'll need to use a bit of that grey wire to run the COM link to the new switch, in the same way as those short reds are currently being used.

Thank you Crafty.........that makes sense to me now.

Bernard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back