Moving a Gas Meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone here actually had Transco move a gas meter in their property ?
I'm desperately trying to get them to get into my property to move the gas meter which currently sits neatly IN THE MIDDLE OF MY LIVING ROOM, as it's an ex local authority house, the planners didn't do a great job.
All I need doing is moving it around on it's arm, but obviously no-one Corgi registered or otherwise is alloweed to do it, so I'm at the mercy of Transco.
I'm currently still waiting for a meter move pack to be sent out...7 days and counting.
This is holding up the building work I need doing on my house..wooden flooring levelling off the wall where the meter was..etc.etc.
If anyone has had this sort of work done, I'd love to know hoe long it took them to finally turn up and how long the job took, and what theprices were like.
Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Are you positive that a CORGI registered plumber cannot move the meter - particularly as it sounds like is is just a case of turning the meter through 180 degrees. If not then it does seem like you are at the mercy of Transco!
I had similar experience with moving electric meter. I think they just make up a price for moving things off the top of their head. The guy who came to look at ours and work out the price said around £100 - when I said this sounded a bit expensive he came down to £50! Still, I shouldn't complain!
Good Luck!

I would have thought a CORGI registered plumber could have done it, but most are saying they won't, as the pipes up to and including the meter belong to Transco, and they cannot shut off the gas before the meter, only after.

this is something actually i want to do with my gas meter in the future.. i have heard it costs a lot (200+) for transco to do this. Never really enquired though, do post a reply when you hear from them would be interesting to know.

Sponsored Links
Well, I called a local Corgi registered Gas Installer who said he would do it for 120 quid, and he can do it anytime.
That was in comparison to Transco who would have charged upwards of 200 pounds, and I would have had to wait 4 to 6 weeks just for a site inspection.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back