Moving cables and wireless

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At the moment the cable in our terrace for the phone.

Comes in the upper back bedroom window, snakes round skirting board, along the landing, down the stairs and ends with a box at the bottom.

As we are rennovating I don't want the cable.

Is it easy to take it down the outside wall, in through the kitchen and set it there?

I was thinking that I could snip off the wire, drag it back out through the original hole then back through new hole and put on the box.

If the wire is old and tired is it easy to splice in a new wire, outside, using some sort of box?

Sponsored Links
If this is the main BT cable, does it have any joints or boxes on it anywhere? I ask because it is odd for BT to route their cable like that in a domestic premises. They normally drill through the wall and bang a socket on the inside where they drill.

Unfortunately if the cable goes all this way and ends with a master socket (if will say BT on it), you'll have to get BT to do any work. And their fees for such work are nothing short of extortionate.

Of course, it is possible for you to do it yourself on the quiet. Unscrew the master socket and see if the terminals are screw type. If they are not screw terminals you'll need a special tool to re-terminate the wires, from as little as a couple of quid. Beware the voltages on these cables can be up to 100 volts when the phones ring.

Re-use the original cable and socket or BT will get suspicious and could take you to court for interfering with their equipment.

cheers
there is a thicker black cable outside and a matchbox sized box on the inside of the window frame, where the smaller cable leads from.

I'll have a look at it in a bit and hope no one rings :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back