moving door frame sideways

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to move a door frame along by 10cm. I read the previous post about removing a door frame, but this door is situated in what was once an exterior wall (it is now the door between the kitchen and the classic flat-roofed bathroom extension on the ground floor at the back of a victorian house).
The walls are stripped back to the bonding coat
I literally need to slice down the right hand side and move over the frame and fill in the gap to the left.

Should I now dig around above the door to find out if there is a lintel and if it is wide enough to slide the frame over without requiring support?
What would your next move be?

Sponsored Links
Thats exactly what you need to do but do not move this door if there is not a minimum of 4" bearer below the lintel.

thank you. I'm off for a dig and a poke to see what's there.
I'll let you know my results!

more detail, This is a small door opening - 73cm wide and I initially need to widen it to 83cm to move it over.
I've found the lintel - it barely has 4ins of bearer underneath as it is.
I'm only left with 1 brick above the lintel then it's ceiling, but being an old outside wall it is 2 bricks thick.

So - the one question I have left (you hope) is whether to risk moving that lintel over 10cm without supporting the wall above it - the door is central to the 10 brick high wedge above it. I hope you can picture what I'm on about :) There's isn't much room to get a support in above this door.

Sponsored Links
Just a thought...

How's about building your other side up by 100mm first, then supporting with strongboy, then take outl intel a chop in at 100mm over from the original position ?

Cheers,

P.J.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back